Hi,

I’m pretty sure I’m missing something obvious, but how do you exit the text editing mode without having to switch tools in Affinity Designer ?

In Photoshop cmd + return will do this, but in AD it converts the text to curves (witch leads to numerous errors on my part. So much that I now have changed the shortcut).

If there is a way I would love to hear about it otherwise, I would love to see this added.

How can I edit the Affinity Designer text tool without dragging my curser over to the left panel and clicking on another tool? In Photoshop, for example, I can simply press the Escape key to exit the text tool. Usually after editing text I need to reposition the text. It would be a lot faster to hit "Escape" and then "V" to move the text, rather than drag the curser over to the "V" tool and then back to my object.  (I'm just trying to speed up my workflow to Photoshop levels.) Thanks in advance for your advice!

10 hours ago, Nexus Marketing Online said:

How can I edit the Affinity Designer text tool without dragging my curser over to the left panel and clicking on another tool? In Photoshop, for example, I can simply press the Escape key to exit the text tool. Usually after editing text I need to reposition the text. It would be a lot faster to hit "Escape" and then "V" to move the text, rather than drag the curser over to the "V" tool and then back to my object.  (I'm just trying to speed up my workflow to Photoshop levels.) Thanks in advance for your advice!

That should work in the Affinity applications, too.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.239), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.3.476 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.3.476 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.3.475 Beta

19 minutes ago, asan said:

click escape 2 times, that will get you out of the text tool completely.

Often 2 clicks of escape will unselect the text layer.  As A_B_C notes in his referenced forum entry there is no one rule when using the escape key to exit text edit.  You need to consider where exactly you're at or press it watching the text entry cursor or text highlight until they both disappear.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

13 hours ago, Nexus Marketing Online said:

HI.
You don't have to do anything other than move your cursor slightly outside the textbox (you will see the move tool appear) and you can reposition and resize the text. Move the cursor back inside the textbox and you can continue to type.

- Affinity Photo 1.7.2
- Affinity Designer 1.7.2
-Affinity Publisher 1.7.2

MacBook Pro 8 GB
MacBook Pro Mojave 10.14.6