You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Error Message: "Metadata could not be embedded"

Hi,

I am new to affinity for about two weeks.  Today I was exporting some photo's to be printed and after the third one i received this message:

"An error occurred while exporting to : ~/.../../photo.jpg  Metadata could not be embedded."

The file does not export so i have no jpeg.  I am able to save the file in Affinity format no problem.  I have done this from both "file -> export" menu as well as the export persona.

A couple of points:

1. I never left the application between a good export and the failed export.

2. I have permissions to write files in that directory (mac el capitan)

3. I have plenty of free space.

4. It happens on all photo's now regardless if they were in affinity or not.

5. I have since closed all photo's exited and restarted. Same error on all photo's i try.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey,

I'm having the same problem. I get this error message like every other day. Seems to happen when Affinity Photo has been open for a while. It doesn't matter where I'm exporting to. I only export JPEGs so I can't say if it happens with other file formats.

Quitting the program an opening it again solves the problem for me but of course that isn't really a solution.

• Staff

Hey,

I'm having the same problem. I get this error message like every other day. Seems to happen when Affinity Photo has been open for a while. It doesn't matter where I'm exporting to. I only export JPEGs so I can't say if it happens with other file formats.

Quitting the program an opening it again solves the problem for me but of course that isn't really a solution.

Are you still getting the error in the latest version, 1.4.1, from the Mac App Store?

Exif, not Exit.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yeah, It doesn't really matter where I'm saving apparently.

And since I've been using Photo & Designer extensively lately I'm restarting each program a couple of times a day by now.

Luckily I can always save the files, just no export without quitting the program first.

Just quitting the file window does nothing or me.

• Staff

Just had this exporting to both png and jpeg. Never had it before but the unchecking metadata fixed it, I tried reloading the app, I blame Windows, since they added Windows support this happens :)

Are you able to send me the document that you couldn't export without unchecking metadata? I would like to try and figure out what's happening :D

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...
1 hour ago, Burndog said:

Same issue here... But as suggested, restarting the program solves the issue. Version 1.7.2 Affinity Photo

As suggested by Leigh just above your post, you should probably start a new topic and provide more information about the photo you're trying to save. Size, content, export parameters, export location, the exact error message you got, etc. Also the OS that you're running.

Over the course of this very old topic, it appears that no one ever provided the information needed for the support team to try to solve it.

I suggest starting it in one of the Bug forums, either Photo Bugs found on MacOS or Photo Bugs found on Windows, as appropriate.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

14 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Over the course of this very old topic, it appears that no one ever provided the information needed for the support team to try to solve it.

Hi Walt,
I agree but realistically, I'm not wanting to beta test this product. The solution of restarting works, and I can get back to work on my own projects. I merely wanted to let the Developers know this old problem still exists in the current 1.7.2 version.

But, I will continue to post bug reports for Publisher to help both the Developers and Community.

Thank you for your help in the forums!

• 1 year later...

Getting this error on an HDR merge I am exporting to jpeg, but I was also having problems saving at all before this error started happening, it would show the export processing and then when finish it goes "error - could not save to hard disk" without much explanation.

Now it says couldn't save because of the Meta data thing. 1.8.5.703 windows 10 user.

I wonder if the app used up all my virtual memory and that's why I couldn't save or what.

10 hours ago, mrnagy88 said:

Getting this error on an HDR merge I am exporting to jpeg, but I was also having problems saving at all before this error started happening, it would show the export processing and then when finish it goes "error - could not save to hard disk" without much explanation.

Now it says couldn't save because of the Meta data thing. 1.8.5.703 windows 10 user.

I wonder if the app used up all my virtual memory and that's why I couldn't save or what.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

If you read the thread, a few posts up you will see that @Leigh (Serif staff member) responded to a prior post by suggesting that the poster should start their own topic. That's what I would recommend for you, too, unless Leigh comes back here with a different suggestion.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1