sway

Error Message: "Metadata could not be embedded"

Hi,

I am new to affinity for about two weeks.  Today I was exporting some photo's to be printed and after the third one i received this message:

"An error occurred while exporting to : ~/.../../photo.jpg  Metadata could not be embedded."

The file does not export so i have no jpeg.  I am able to save the file in Affinity format no problem.  I have done this from both "file -> export" menu as well as the export persona.

A couple of points:

1. I never left the application between a good export and the failed export.

2. I have permissions to write files in that directory (mac el capitan)

3. I have plenty of free space.

4. It happens on all photo's now regardless if they were in affinity or not.

5. I have since closed all photo's exited and restarted. Same error on all photo's i try.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Hi Sway, welcome to the forums :)

Sorry to hear that you're having issues exporting. Are you saving locally or to an external device? If you try and export to your Desktop do you get the same error?

Hi!

I am receiving the same error message. I export locally to my desktop.

The difference is that this message (up to now) only comes when I open an image saved with PhotoLine in PNG-format. Other pictures can be opened and exported without problems.

Best, Dietmar

Hi Dietmar.Harms, welcome to the forum :)

Thanks for the info! Is it possible to attach an image saved from PhotoLine to this thread? This will allow me to investigate further :)

Hey,

I'm having the same problem. I get this error message like every other day. Seems to happen when Affinity Photo has been open for a while. It doesn't matter where I'm exporting to. I only export JPEGs so I can't say if it happens with other file formats.

Quitting the program an opening it again solves the problem for me but of course that isn't really a solution.

Hey,

I'm having the same problem. I get this error message like every other day. Seems to happen when Affinity Photo has been open for a while. It doesn't matter where I'm exporting to. I only export JPEGs so I can't say if it happens with other file formats.

Quitting the program an opening it again solves the problem for me but of course that isn't really a solution.

Are you still getting the error in the latest version, 1.4.1, from the Mac App Store?

What I do is from the Export window click on "More" at the bottom.   This opens another window and I uncheck "Embed Metadata"   I have no idea what metadata is but I end up with a good jpeg file.

Exif, not Exit.

Affinity Photo 1.7.3, Affinity Designer 1.7.3, Affinity Publisher 1.7.3; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.155 & Affinity Designer 1.7.3.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 13.1.2

Are you still getting the error in the latest version, 1.4.1, from the Mac App Store?

Yes, I'm running 1.4.1 but am still getting the error frequently.

Yes, I'm running 1.4.1 but am still getting the error frequently.

I've been unable to replicate this issue. Are you saving the files locally or to an external hard drive / network location?

Yeah, It doesn't really matter where I'm saving apparently.

And since I've been using Photo & Designer extensively lately I'm restarting each program a couple of times a day by now.

Luckily I can always save the files, just no export without quitting the program first.

Just quitting the file window does nothing or me.

Just had this exporting to both png and jpeg. Never had it before but the unchecking metadata fixed it, I tried reloading the app, I blame Windows, since they added Windows support this happens :)

Just had this exporting to both png and jpeg. Never had it before but the unchecking metadata fixed it, I tried reloading the app, I blame Windows, since they added Windows support this happens :)

Are you able to send me the document that you couldn't export without unchecking metadata? I would like to try and figure out what's happening :D

Was there a fix to this problem? Jsut starting getting it in 1.5 GM

Is it possible to start your own thread and include as much information as possible? We'll look into this further for you.

Same issue here... But as suggested, restarting the program solves the issue. Version 1.7.2 Affinity Photo

1 hour ago, Burndog said:

Same issue here... But as suggested, restarting the program solves the issue. Version 1.7.2 Affinity Photo

As suggested by Leigh just above your post, you should probably start a new topic and provide more information about the photo you're trying to save. Size, content, export parameters, export location, the exact error message you got, etc. Also the OS that you're running.

Over the course of this very old topic, it appears that no one ever provided the information needed for the support team to try to solve it.

I suggest starting it in one of the Bug forums, either Photo Bugs found on MacOS or Photo Bugs found on Windows, as appropriate.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.356), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.7.3.475 Beta

14 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Over the course of this very old topic, it appears that no one ever provided the information needed for the support team to try to solve it.

Hi Walt,
I agree but realistically, I'm not wanting to beta test this product. The solution of restarting works, and I can get back to work on my own projects. I merely wanted to let the Developers know this old problem still exists in the current 1.7.2 version.

But, I will continue to post bug reports for Publisher to help both the Developers and Community.

Thank you for your help in the forums!