You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

42 minutes ago, Russ W said:

Watch!!

I'm not too sure what this video has to do with removing backgrounds in Affinity, but Topaz Mask seems to do a good job of it.

If I wanted to spend twice the cost of an Affinity app, to perform one function, that I can already do, (with a little more effort,) in Affinity, I might actually consider buying it! 😄

1 hour ago, puntorosso said:

Why does one still have to do 50 operations in Affinity Designer to remove a background?

There are plenty of apps out there with one click solutions for just about anything. The results can be a bit hit and miss, but if that's all you want, take your pick!

Personally I prefer having more control, and don't have a problem with taking a bit more time to get exactly the results I want. It's entirely a personal choice which apps you choose to use, to enable you to achieve the results, and quality of work, that you require!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

I see your point, but it would be nice to have the option to use the 'easy' mode natively, especially when in a hurry with a bunch of logos, vectors, etc.

I already have a lot of bg removers in my arsenal, but I just wanted to emphasise that the world is changing fast.
Especially with regard to the AI revolution!

IMHO Affinity used to be considered an innovator in the world of graphics.
Now it is becoming increasingly 'obsolete', like other well-known applications of the past. 
Professional users will find comfort in using the old workflows, but young people will avoid it because it is too 'slow' for their way of thinking.

Just my 2 cents...

38 minutes ago, puntorosso said:

especially when in a hurry with a bunch of logos, vectors, etc.

You wouldn't normally do this sort of background removal with vectors, it's usually quite easy just to delete the nodes or layers you don't need. If you have logos with flat colour, it should also be easy to remove backgrounds with the flood select/erase tools. The problem is when you have complex backgrounds and have to separate it from a detailed foreground, especially if they are similar colours. This video is a good stating point for general background removal in Affinity:

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

@PaulEC

I really appreciate your willingness to help me remove backgrounds.

Unfortunately, it has nothing to do with the reason for this post, which instead is more focused on the fact that other competing companies are introducing brand new and useful tools, based on new algorithms and gaining a strong foothold in the market.

If Affinity does not adapt to the technological change taking place, it risks being left behind.
Certainly still a good graphics application, but no longer an innovative one.

4 hours ago, puntorosso said:

Unfortunately, it has nothing to do with the reason for this post, which instead is more focused on the fact that other competing companies are introducing brand new and useful tools, based on new algorithms and gaining a strong foothold in the market.

It isn't just new algorithms. This sort of AI requires a substantial commitment in training the algorithm with many thousands of images by humans, who decide if the detection of foreground vs. background is acceptable or not. It's a bit like teaching a child when they get an answer right or wrong on a test.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

16 hours ago, puntorosso said:

Unfortunately, it has nothing to do with the reason for this post,

Sorry about that!

The point is that is is actually quite easy to remove backgrounds in Affinity. It certainly doesn't need "50 operations"!

All I am saying is that there are plenty of apps with "one click" solutions, if that is what you want. The Affinity apps are intended for people who want more control of the results they get. I don't have a major problem with some automated functions (such as auto contrast of white balance etc), but I really do not want apps that do everything based on an algorithm and leave me little or no control over the final result. I'm not really sure why you want the Affinity apps to go down this road, when you said yourself that "any graphic application for children" can be used, if that is what you want! 😉

@puntorosso Not sure you can generalise about a 1-click background removal tool when there are a myriad of backgrounds where 1-click would definitely not work and the skill of the user is the best background removal tool. 

I would love to see a few examples of these children's apps and also the backgrounds they remove. I also think children are not so discerning as to the quality of the background removal.

I get the exaggeration of the problem and I have used third-party tools to achieve a desired result. I've also done this with Photoshop, when it isn't playing ball I've found another tool. I haven't ever found a background removal tool that consistently removes the background well and maintains decent workflow speed if speed was required. 

Ultimately black product with minimal reflection on white background that is well lit and no shadow, yup 1-click every-time, everything else 1-click+ 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Several pro developers were quoted as saying:

"Why bother creating a graphical interface with a recycle bin to delete files or cursors you have to click to open them.
It looks like an interface for children!
We already have all the necessary commands in MS-DOS that allow us a more precise control of our data".

The rest is history....

They hid the code and commands and made it pretty; that's what god did to me :8_laughing:, so pro developers weren't the only ones who could use it.

Personally, and I'm blue sky thinking here, mainstream camera's need to get layers, 2 or three pics and boom background gone. Anyone smart enough to code my idea, go halves on patent and make us the next bazillionaires, plus make a lot of average-joe photogs happier? 

With my looks and a few of your brain cells we could revolutionise photo-editing. :D 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions