You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo crashes when using the Liquify filter

• Staff

Hi @Wim van den Burg,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

Sorry to hear you're having trouble! Can you please navigate to Affinity Photo > Preferences > Performance and provide a screenshot of your settings here for me?

Does this happen with any image/document, or only with a specific file?

Many thanks in advance!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

• Staff

Thanks for confirming that for me and for the screenshot provided!

Can you please try unticking Hardware Acceleration at the bottom of this dialog, then change the Display from Metal to OpenGL.

Close this dialog and restart the app as prompted, then try using the Liquify Persona once again - does this stop the crashing behaviour please? :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

• Staff

Thanks for confirming that for me and I'm sorry to hear this hasn't helped - I'd like to request a copy of your crash report, shown in your screenshot.

Please go to Applications > Utilities and open the Console app. Crash Reports from our apps can be found in the User Reports section. You can Right Click the required Crash Report and select Reveal in Finder, then attach a copy of this here.

Many thanks once again :)

• Staff

Many thanks for providing that for me, I'd like to try resetting the app back to default settings to see if this stops the crash.

You can reset your app back to its default settings by holding down the CTRL key while launching the app. When the Clear User Data window appears, click Select All and then Clear. The app will now open.

Be aware that resetting your app back to its default settings will lose any custom settings such as keyboard shortcuts and brushes etc. To backup such settings before resetting the app, please watch our Affinity Backing up app resources and factory reset video here - 

Please do let me know how you get on here :)

• Staff
16 hours ago, Wim van den Burg said:

I have reset the app to default settings but he problem remains.

Thanks for trying. You state that this happens with the Liquify filter, does the same happen if you use the Liquify Persona? You say it happens with all images but are you making any changes to the image or are you just opening the image and going straight to the Liquify Filter? What happens if you start a new document, add a rectangle, rasterise said rectangle and then try the Liquify Filter. Does the app crash?

Sorry for all the questions.

• Staff
2 hours ago, Wim van den Burg said:

When I use the Liquify Persona all went well

When I use the filter there is no difference between a new document or an already edited document in both cases the program crashes.

When I start a new document add a rectangle, rasterise it and try the Liquify Filter the program crashes again.

Thanks for confirming and getting back to me. I will speak with our devs/QA team to see if they have any ideas as it's not something I can replicate.

• Staff

I've spoken with our QA team and they're not sure would could be causing the issue. However, I can see you're using a M1 Macbook and we've had a few issues related to EDR. Just out of interest, can you try the suggestion here to see what happens: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/152762-macbook-m1-pro-terrible-lag-beach-ball-nearly-unusable-text-feature/&do=findComment&comment=918932

Also, do you know if you're using a custom display profile?

• Staff
9 hours ago, Wim van den Burg said:

Program still crashes after disable Automatically adjust brightness in System Preferences. I'm using a custom display profile.

Thanks for trying. Would it be possible to try changing the display profile back to the default macOS display profile in System Preferences > Display to see if that improves things?

Thanks again for your cooperation on this 👍

• Staff

Many thanks for letting us know @Wim van den Burg & we're sorry to hear this hasn't helped.

Our team has taken a further look into this issue and it appears from the crash report it may be UI related - therefore our team has requested a screen recording to show the steps you're taking when the crash occurs.

Can you please take a quick recording of these steps for me, then attach this here?

If you're unsure how to take a screen recording, please check out our FAQ linked below - 

Many thanks in advance!

• Staff

Much appreciated, using this recording a member of our team has been able to replicate the crashing you're seeing on their mac - so I'm logging this as a bug with our developers now.

Can you please open the same image, then use Layer > New Live Filter Layer > Distort > Liquify... 

Does this allow you to add/edit the Liquify filter, or does this also crash? :)