You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

HOW TO CREATE AN afassets FILE?

I have 1,000 jpgs of a single catagory that I would like to place into the ASSETS panel.

I do not want to open 1,000 jpgs and have to add each one from a selection into a category in the ASSETS panel.

Is there a way I can convert the 1,000 jpgs into a afassets file to import them into the ASSETS panel.

Win 11, ACER Predator PT516-51s, 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz, RAM - as often as possible B|

AFFINITY DESIGNER 1.10.5.1342

AFFINITY PHOTO 1.10.5.1342

Hi Gee!

You can just select them in your file manager and drag them directly into the Assets Panel. But you should be aware of that too many Assets could slow down your app. I prefer to have only the things as Assets that I often use. The other things can be easily dragged from the file manager if I need them.

There really isn't much difference between dragging from a local file into Affinity and having those files as assets, if you have the file explorer and Affinity side by side it's much the same as an asset panel. as @iconoclast has said be careful how much you load.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Also, all of the Assets end up in one file in the file system, assets.propcol, and it is annoyingly easy to break that file, in which case you can lose all the Assets. Then you'll need to recreate your Assets again from the original files. So if you do add them, make sure you keep the originals and know where they are and which ones you used. And consider exporting the Assets to make it easier to recover them. Or have good system backups so you can restore assets.propcol directly.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

8 hours ago, firstdefence said:

There really isn't much difference between dragging from a local file into Affinity and having those files as assets, if you have the file explorer and Affinity side by side it's much the same as an asset panel. 

If you are working in full screen mode on Macs, or with the document window(s) set to take up most of the screen space, it is quicker & easier to drag an asset directly from the panel into the document window rather than dragging from the Explorer or Finder window, & of course you can set a keyboard shortcut to quickly show or hide the Assets panel to provide more working space for the document(s) when you do not need to access it.

Still, for the reasons already mentioned, it is a good idea to limit the number & size of the items you add to that panel to just those you use frequently.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thank you all for responding!!!

Your valuable information has solved my problem and have a wonderful weekend.

P.S. Take a look at this wonderful image of erosion on Mars, at least that is what NASA says it is.:27_sunglasses:

door3 mars.jpg

Win 11, ACER Predator PT516-51s, 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz, RAM - as often as possible B|

9 minutes ago, Gee Whiz said:

Thank you all for responding!!!

Your valuable information has solved my problem and have a wonderful weekend.

P.S. Take a look at this wonderful image of erosion on Mars, at least that is what NASA says it is.:27_sunglasses:

door3 mars.jpg

You mean that it is a fake again and in actual fact they shot this photo on the moon?😉

Could be interesting to see the same place at a different time with different lighting angle. - Like the legendary Mars Face.

12 minutes ago, iconoclast said:

You mean that it is a fake again and in actual fact they shot this photo on the moon?😉

Could be interesting to see the same place at a different time with different lighting angle. - Like the legendary Mars Face.

Yes, iconoclast, it is fake just see this wider view of this erosion. Funny how the erosion seems to HEAVILY favor only one small particular section of this massive rock wall. Seems like targeted erosion to me.:D

door mars1.png

18 minutes ago, Gee Whiz said:

Seems like targeted erosion to me

To my eye it appears like first there is some cracking from earthquakes aresquakes then some frost heave. How tall is the 'doorway'? Metres or Millimetres?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

3 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

To my eye it appears like first there is some cracking from earthquakes aresquakes then some frost heave. How tall is the 'doorway'? Metres or Millimetres?

The doorway is tall enough for this rascal...BABYY.jpeg.8a4ac2b120a194899487193a8e1a35f7.jpeg

1 hour ago, Gee Whiz said:

Yes, iconoclast, it is fake just see this wider view of this erosion. 

Funny how the erosion seems to HEAVILY favor only one small particular section of this massive rock wall. 

But in the wider view it is obvious that the erosion is just as heavy or heavier along the deep crevice on the left. It seems to me to be a pretty good indication that this was from water running down the rock wall way back when Mars had a thicker atmosphere & more Earth-like weather.

Anyway, they have found water on Mars, so I'm not sure why they would want to fake anything in photos like taht one.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

12 hours ago, Gee Whiz said:

The doorway is tall enough for this rascal...BABYY.jpeg.8a4ac2b120a194899487193a8e1a35f7.jpeg

But not wide enough for his ears.

What really makes me think is that there seems to be a hair in the middle of the photo, while the Mars Rover is baldheaded, as everybody knows.

7 hours ago, iconoclast said:

But not wide enough for his ears.

I have it on good authority he floats in sideways on...

...and as luck would have it, I just happened to cadge a flight on an SS-TR3 Mk2 Ghia (Galactic Class) and had my box brownie with me.

image.png.5a193833695d1dc0063defc855cfa729.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions