You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Gradient along strokes

Would love to see one of my fav features in ai: you can assign a gradient to a stroke with an option to have it move along the stroke length, not just fill it.

You can achieve same look in AD by creating a gradient, saving as an image, then creating image brush, but its a hustle and you can't change it quickly.

A kind-of-not-really workaround I found is to use an image brush that is a black-to-white gradient for the stroke and overlay that with gradient map effect. Its clunky and produces weird artefacts if color change is too sudden, but can work until a proper tool is introduced.

I vote for this too.

Currently the gradient only runs horizontally in lines, and then you can press the "Reverse" button to reverse it.

A "Along Line" button would fit nicely right next to the "Reverse" button, so that the gradient ran along whatever direction the line went. You could get some pretty realistic brush strokes with a feature like this, when combined with a textured brush.

This could be a great feature. Create a gradient with 5 colors with the fifth one being mirrored on the beginning and ending of the gradient, then create a star shape and with just a bit of tweaking, a star with a rainbow stroke that has the pure color at each point. 

To quote a philosopher in this summer's movie of the year: "oh yeeaah."

Mac OS X Catinlina, 2014 iMac, 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7, Huion Kamvas Pro 22 Graphic Tablet, 16GB RAM, MacOS10.12 || Magic keyboard w/numeric keypad, wireless trackpad, Kengsington Edge Trackball || Flux Capacitor in a secure location

---

I encourage kids to go ahead and play on my lawn. I mean, how else can I make sure the death-traps work?