You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Marquee tool - I don't understand it - what does it do?

OK. I'm trying to something super simple that I've done a million times in Photoshop, but in AP - nothing is working.

I have a pixel image in AP. I select the marquee tool. I select an area. But I can't do anything with the selection. I can't move the selected item. I can't delete it. I can't fill the selection with color.

What is the point of the Marquee tool. It must be for something other that what I think it's for in AP.

I'll have to, AGAIN, go back to Photoshop to get work done. Adding additional time to the work. What's the secret here?

What should be so intuitive just isn't in AP or Publisher/AP

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

14 minutes ago, George3 said:

I have a pixel image in AP. I select the marquee tool. I select an area. But I can't do anything with the selection. I can't move the selected item. I can't delete it. I can't fill the selection with color.

Is this an Image Layer? Check the Layers panel and see it it says (Image) or (Pixel). It sounds as though it is an Image Layer, or this could have a little Lock icon on it. Check the right side of the layer name.

Only the uppermost layer will allow me to cut or move bits chosen with the marquee tool.

1831311040_ScreenShot2022-05-26at10_01_04AM.png.61fc1e5603d953ec1b6cc76d31f24d8f.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Sorry. - Additional info --- I opened the document from a PDF into Publisher. For starters.

(Some graphics in the doc are images and some are pixel)

The graphic I'm working on is not locked. It is actually an image and not a pixel graphic. Not sure what an image is. It doesn't seem to open to something else. Very confusing. I would think an "image" would open as an imported graphic (or like an Adobe Smart Object) but I can't see how to do that. Anyway....

I can convert it to a pixel image and edit it now. Sheesh.

Thanks for your help.

8 minutes ago, George3 said:

It is actually an image and not a pixel graphic. Not sure what an image is.

It is a form of container for a pixel layer, but is not itself a pixel layer. If you want to work with its pixels you must first Rasterize it, using either the Layer menu or by right-clicking it in the Layer panel and choosing Rasterize.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

It is a form of container for a pixel layer, but is not itself a pixel layer.

How do you open the container? I haven't found an option yet. Can you open the container?

7 minutes ago, George3 said:

How do you open the container? I haven't found an option yet. Can you open the container?

You don't open an Image layer. It's not that kind of container. You leave it as is, or apply adjustments to it, or you Rasterize it.

If you'd like to show us a screenshot containing the Layers panel, with the layers expanded if needed, or an actual document, we might be able to say more.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

7 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

If you'd like to show us a screenshot containing the Layers panel, with the layers expanded if needed, or an actual document, we might be able to say more.

Thanks. I think I got it. These apps are just frustrating and in my view not ready for prime time. I want to use them. I try to use them but they just are not 100% there yet. I think I get what an image layer is. My understanding is It's sort of a "smart object" that retains the DPI of the original image on resizing in the doc, but once you Rasterize it - that is lost. You should be able to edit the Layer image without losing the original image info by having to rasterize it to edit it. Like I said - frustrating.

3 hours ago, George3 said:

I think I get what an image layer is. ...

See related in the Online Help for the app you use...

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2