You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crash after Adjustments -> Crop -> Rotate (1.10.5.1342)

Hello everybody,

some detailed informations about the Topic:

1. Load an image file (TIFF).
  2. Make some adjustments from the adjustments panel to the image (i. e. White Balance or something other).
  3. Choose Crop and rotate the image.

Interestingly, when working with German  language for menu items, Photo hangs  forever, choosing "English" Photo crashes.

Eventlog then shows:

Name der fehlerhaften Anwendung: Photo.exe, Version: 1.10.5.1342, Zeitstempel: 0x62227da7
Name des fehlerhaften Moduls: libraster.dll, Version: 0.0.0.0, Zeitstempel: 0x62226ff2
Ausnahmecode: 0xc0000005
Fehleroffset: 0x000000000172fe1d
ID des fehlerhaften Prozesses: 0x6064
Startzeit der fehlerhaften Anwendung: 0x01d870e288433a16
Pfad der fehlerhaften Anwendung: C:\Program Files\Affinity\Photo\Photo.exe
Pfad des fehlerhaften Moduls: C:\Program Files\Affinity\Photo\libraster.dll
Berichtskennung: 9d0aac21-e08b-4a2c-8894-08571390de88

Some more infos:

OpenCL is disabled.

Graphics card: NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

RAM: 64 GB

Thank you for reading :)

Michael

• Staff

Hi @MikeSB,

Sorry to hear you're experiencing crashing in Affinity!

2 hours ago, MikeSB said:
  • Load an image file (TIFF).
  • Make some adjustments from the adjustments panel to the image (i. e. White Balance or something other).
  • Choose Crop and rotate the image.

I've tried this here with multiple .TIFF files, and with both Hardware Acceleration enabled/disabled and thus far I've been unable to replicate this crash.

Can you please confirm for me:

• Does this happen with any .TIFF file, or only specific ones? (if specific, could you please attach a sample file here for me?)
  • Are your GPU drivers fully up to date, directly from Nvidia?

I can see the app is crashing when accessing the 'libraster.dll', which usually indicates an issue with Affinity communicating with your graphics card, usually caused by outdated drivers.

As well as the above, under Edit > Preferences > Performance can you please try changing the Renderer to WARP, then restart the app as prompted and try following these steps once again - does the app still crash?

Many thanks in advance :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

1 hour ago, Dan C said:

Can you please confirm for me:

• Does this happen with any .TIFF file, or only specific ones? (if specific, could you please attach a sample file here for me?)
  • Are your GPU drivers fully up to date, directly from Nvidia?

I can see the app is crashing when accessing the 'libraster.dll', which usually indicates an issue with Affinity communicating with your graphics card, usually caused by outdated drivers.

As well as the above, under Edit > Preferences > Performance can you please try changing the Renderer to WARP, then restart the app as prompted and try following these steps once again - does the app still crash?

Many thanks in advance :)

Hello Dan C

thank you for your quick reply!

Here are some ew infos:

• Changing to WARP lets Photo crash also. A new error msg is produced by .NET runtime (not sure if it is caused bei the WARP engine). See below for the stack trace.
  • It happens with different TIFF files.
  • I am using the lastest NVIDIA drivers, installed by NVIDIA updater.
  • BUT: Cropping and rotating the mere background image before adjustments are applied does work! The error occurs after applying adjustments.

Here is the record in the EventLog:

Anwendung: Photo.exe
Frameworkversion: v4.0.30319
Beschreibung: Der Prozess wurde aufgrund einer unbehandelten Ausnahme beendet.
Ausnahmeinformationen: System.AccessViolationException
   bei Serif.Interop.Persona.UserInterface.DocumentRenderControl.WndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
   bei System.Windows.Interop.HwndHost.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
   bei MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(System.Object)
   bei System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
   bei System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
   bei System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority, System.TimeSpan, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
   bei MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)
   bei MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(System.Windows.Interop.MSG ByRef)
   bei System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)
   bei System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(System.Object)
   bei System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(System.Windows.Window)
   bei Photo.Application.Main(System.String[])

That's all for the moment

Michael

• Staff

Thank you for trying that for me and I'm certainly sorry to hear this hasn't helped!

Can you please provide a sample .afphoto file to the below link for me, with the adjustment layer added before the crop/rotation is applied -

https://www.dropbox.com/request/BiZxmcbW547U8JhTLZrl

Once uploaded, can you please reply here to let me know.

Can you please also check the following link, and let me know if any of these applications are installed locally for you?

Many thanks once again :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Many thanks for your file provided! I've created a quick screen recording showing the steps I have taken, and the file does not crash - can you please confirm if these are similar to your initial report? I'd just like to ensure I have not misunderstood your replication steps :)

Secondly, can you please download and run the following .NET repair tool, then try this again to see if this resolves the crashing?

https://www.microsoft.com/download/details.aspx?id=30135

Please note -

Many thanks!

Thanks, too. And - yes - these are the steps I am also doing in the same order. As cropping without rotation works perfectly the crash occurs when I start to rotate while cropping.

The .NET-Repair-Tool applied shows no difference.

One more observation, I found these minutes: Doing the same steps to a JPEG works. So it seems - IMHO - to be a hint, that it's something which happens processing TIFF-files.

My workflow is mostly: Cpature One -> Export a TIFF to Photo and work on it there.

Thanks for your patience and have a nice day.

Michael

• Staff

Thanks for the update. Dan is out of the office this week but is it possible to see if you have any Crash Reports available by following this FAQ: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/98904-where-to-find-crash-reports/#comment-529428

Do you also happen to know if you an integrated graphics card on your system or do you only have the NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000 GPU installed?

Unfortuanetly there is no crash report. The last one was recorded on March.

There is also an integrated graphics card (Intel UHD 630). For rendering I have selected in Affinity Photo the NVIDIA-card.

For now I have a work around: First clip and rotate, then apply any adjustments. That works for me.

Michael

• Staff

Thanks for the information. I can see above that you mention that the app crashes when in English but not in German. Are you currently using it in German? If you are, can you temporarily switch back to English and see if it crashes? Would be useful to get a cash report :)

Did it in English. No report found in [...]\reports but in folder [...]\Backtrace. There is alo a dmp file. Would you like to give me a Dropbox-link - so I can send you all files (including the json-ones)?

Michael

• Staff

Sorry for the delay in replying. I've had a look at your .dmp file but it didn't shed any light on the issue, sorry. The only other option I can offer is to use Task Manager to create a dmp file - this will hopefully catch the issue when the app crashes/hangs. 

When the app hangs, open Task Manager and right-click on the process and select "Create dump" to write a full dump of this process.  The dump file should be found in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\ but Task Manager will usually show the dump file name and location once the dump has been written.

Please upload the dmp file(s) here: https://www.dropbox.com/request/BiZxmcbW547U8JhTLZrl

Sry - now I cannot assist you. "Unfortunately" Photo crashes and does no longer hanging. So I miss the chance to generate a dmp-file.

As I wrote earlier - I will do the clipping/rotation first then apply any other adjustment. And ... it is only the rotation which causes the crash.

Thanks again for your patience!

Michael

• Staff
15 hours ago, MikeSB said:

Sry - now I cannot assist you. "Unfortunately" Photo crashes and does no longer hanging. So I miss the chance to generate a dmp-file.

As I wrote earlier - I will do the clipping/rotation first then apply any other adjustment. And ... it is only the rotation which causes the crash.

Thanks again for your patience!

Michael

Ok, thanks for letting me know.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @mthorner,

When using the Crop Tool, the Rotate option on the Context Toolbar will rotate the crop area, not the image itself - so this is expected behaviour.

If you're looking to rotate the image itself, you can do this outside of the crop tool using Document > Rotate 90° Clockwise/Anticlockwise, as required.

I hope this helps :)

Please note -

Many thanks!