You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Multiple VERY annoying bugs

Hello,

I'm using Affinity Designer everyday for work and I really like it (in comparison to Illustrator).

But I'm also facing bugs that are really annoying so I now decided to share them with the community and see if I'm the only on facing them.

I try to always keep Designer up to date. I'm currently using version 1.10.5 on an intel Macbook pro 2019 running on Monterey.

This is the list of the bugs :

1. When I drag a layer on the layers toolbox to change its order, it always move the wrong layer, usually the one under the one I wanna move. I have to try multiple times, deselect and reselect the layer I wanna move to achieve my goal.

2. The pipette tool is not pixel perfect accurate. See picture pipette.png : the color it is suppose to extract is white but you can see it took black, as if I was 2px under.

3. The app crashes when I'm copiying / pasting from a Designer file to another, I think this happen when I try to copy paste a lot of layers. I see the weel turning infinitly and I have to force quit the app.

4. Some visual bugs, see the video, it speaks by itself. One day, I had this visual bug, but it actually changed my document and made an entire workspace black, as you can see on the attached document (Blissim). I had no way to go back, Cmd-Z was not resolving the issue/

As I said I really like Affinity Designer better than Illustrator because it is so much mode efficient and fast. But please pay attention to the bugs, don't become the new Adobe.

pipette.png

Blissim-Avril22_4(1).afdesign

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @jubarbie. :)

Regardless of how annoying they may all be, please don’t post about multiple bugs in a single thread. It’s much easier for everyone (especially the QA staff who are tasked with logging these things for the developers’ attention) if there’s a separate thread for each bug report.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

Hi @jubarbie welcome to the forums,

As Alfred mentioned, for future reference please keep it to one bug per thread. 🙂

21 hours ago, jubarbie said:

1. When I drag a layer on the layers toolbox to change its order, it always move the wrong layer, usually the one under the one I wanna move. I have to try multiple times, deselect and reselect the layer I wanna move to achieve my goal.

I've not been able to replicate any issue with this, do you have a screen recording which demonstrates this issue?

2. The pipette tool is not pixel perfect accurate. See picture pipette.png : the color it is suppose to extract is white but you can see it took black, as if I was 2px under.

I believe this has already been previously logged however I'm confirming.

3. The app crashes when I'm copiying / pasting from a Designer file to another, I think this happen when I try to copy paste a lot of layers. I see the weel turning infinitly and I have to force quit the app.

If you're copying and pasting a large number of layers between designer files, this could be hardware related, if you were to leave it for some time does it eventually paste onto the second document? Also, does activity monitor show high usages during the time the app is unresponsive?

4. Some visual bugs, see the video, it speaks by itself. One day, I had this visual bug, but it actually changed my document and made an entire workspace black, as you can see on the attached document (Blissim). I had no way to go back, Cmd-Z was not resolving the issue/

This Render/redraw issue may indicate an issue with Hardware Acceleration, could you try disabling this under Preferences > Performance and see if this happens going forward.

Thank for your reply @NathanC.

I'll report bugs in different thread next time, sorry for that.

1. I tried multiple times to record it but I couldn't. The fact that I focus out the Affinity app to start screen recording and come back to the app seems to solve the issue. I'll try next time to record my screen using my cellphone to show you the issue.

2. I have this pipette bug since the very first version of Affinity Designer, praying it to be solved at every update.

3. I've never waited more than a 5 minutes because I'm usually working and can't waste too much time. Next time I'll try waiting more. I have a pretty recent mac though and copy / pasting isn't a pretty heavy operation for a computer. I guess ...

4. I already disabled it as it was mentionned on this forum. But I still have some visuals problems, like black squares appearing on top of my documents. Also how do you explain that this visual bug actually destroyed one of my document ?

• Staff
12 minutes ago, jubarbie said:

4. I already disabled it as it was mentionned on this forum. But I still have some visuals problems, like black squares appearing on top of my documents. Also how do you explain that this visual bug actually destroyed one of my document ?

Do you still have a copy of the affected document if restarting the app doesn't resolve this?

1 hour ago, NathanC said:

As Alfred mentioned, for future reference please keep it to one bug per thread.

Maybe it would be appropriate to include in the rules of the Bug Forum. This is mentioned for requests, including searching an existing similar request, but not for bugs.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• Staff
50 minutes ago, jubarbie said:

Yes I attached it on my first post.

Restarting the app, reopening the document didn't help. My document seems to be destroyed forever.

I've opened your attached file with no issues on Windows 10, other members of the Tech team have opened the file on MacOS Monterey without any issues as well, I noticed in your screen recording the file is named 'TS_41B' is this the same file as you're attached 'Blissim-Avrill22' file?

Also, could you confirm which version of MacOS/Windows your running and if setting the Screen 'Display' setting to Software/OpenCl(basic) makes any difference?

@NathanC

Don't you see Workspace 2 completely black ?

Workspace 2 is supposed to be similar to workspace 1. Actually workspace 1 is an old design and my new design is/was on workspace 2. I attached a PDF export I've made of Workspace 2 before it has been destroyed.

But is became black with no reason after a visual bug, see the screenshot attached.

37 minutes ago, NathanC said:

I noticed in your screen recording the file is named 'TS_41B' is this the same file as you're attached 'Blissim-Avrill22' file

No, those are 2 differents documents. I attached TS_41B so you can see how it is.

You can also find attached a screenshot with all informations regarding macOS and Affinity versions.

Capture d’écran 2022-05-26 à 12.49.16.png

Capture d’écran 2022-05-26 à 12.52.16.png

TS_41B.afdesign Blissim-Avril22_v3.pdf

• Staff
23 minutes ago, jubarbie said:

But is became black with no reason after a visual bug, see the screenshot attached.

I see, I wasn't 100% if this was intentional as this does appear the same on our side, this may indicate the pixel layer is corrupted.

26 minutes ago, jubarbie said:

No, those are 2 differents documents. I attached TS_41B so you can see how it is.

I've not experienced any issues opening/panning the artboards on this document on Monterey or Windows, have you tried changing the aforementioned display settings?

27 minutes ago, NathanC said:

I've not experienced any issues opening/panning the artboards on this document on Monterey or Windows

No me neither, this document is fine.

The visual bug I have is not related to a specific document. It is just happening once in a while, this time I recorded it because it was pretty impressive.

But most of the time it is just a black square that appears on top of a document, moving the artboard or zooming usually makes it disapear.

It just gives me the impression that theis app is not really reliable or still in a beta version. This doesn't happen in any other apps I work with (Apple Motion, Final Cut, Blender for instance).

• 2 weeks later...

@NathanC I've finaly manage to capture this bug

On 5/25/2022 at 12:36 PM, jubarbie said:

Please find attached the video, at the end you'll see that I want to move the text layer I just created but it moves the layer under instead (red rectangle).

After some investigations it seems to only occur on freshly created layers.

• Staff
29 minutes ago, jubarbie said:

Please find attached the video, at the end you'll see that I want to move the text layer I just created but it moves the layer under instead (red rectangle).

After some investigations it seems to only occur on freshly created layers.

Enregistrement de l’écran 2022-06-07 à 11.54.11.mov

Just from watching your video frame by frame, within the last few seconds from 0:23, your newly created text frame is highlighted within the panel, however your selected/dragged object appears to be the orange rectangle that was just above the text layer which then results in this object being moved instead of the text. Is it possible this layer was just inadvertently dragged instead of the text frame?

image.png

@NathanC

You're right, it is the orange rectangle above and not the red rectangle under, my mistake.

3 minutes ago, NathanC said:

Is it possible this layer was just inadvertently dragged instead of the text frame?

Yes ! This is the bug I'm talking about and it happends so many times. For no reason, it is the wrong layer that it is moved.

You can see I clicked on the text layer because it gets the information as I wanted to rename it.

• Staff

14 minutes ago, jubarbie said:

Yes ! This is the bug I'm talking about and it happends so many times. For no reason, it is the wrong layer that it is moved.

You can see I clicked on the text layer because it gets the information as I wanted to rename it.

Whilst you do have the text layer highlighted in the panel, this doesn't stop you from moving other layers within the stack.

It’s difficult to tell without the click press notifier on the recording whether or not the orange rectangle layer was clicked first or the text layer, however when your cursor begins to drag it does so from the centre of orange rectangle layer.

22 minutes ago, NathanC said:

within the last few seconds from 0:23, your newly created text frame is highlighted within the panel, however your selected/dragged object appears to be the orange rectangle

If you continue watching (say, 24 to 27 seconds) the text frame unexpectedly goes into layer renaming mode whilst the "orange rectangle" is still being dragged around

move.png

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• Staff
16 minutes ago, jubarbie said:

Ok so I record it with click notification.

You can clearly see I click on the text layer but it moves the Group Layer above

Thanks, this does indicate the correct layer is being selected, problem is I can't replicate this. When I create a new text layer and immediately move it it solely moves the text layer.

- If you were to create a new document and set this up does the same issue occur?

- If the layer was de-selected and selected again, does it always select correctly?

This doesn't happen all the time, I can't really find a logic. Find attached the full uncut video, you'll see I've made multiple tries before this bug happen.

2 minutes ago, NathanC said:

- If you were to create a new document and set this up does the same issue occur?

This document on the video is pretty new, I created it this morning (it's now 2pm from were I live).

2 minutes ago, NathanC said:

If the layer was de-selected and selected again, does it always select correctly?

This is usually what I do to be able to move the right layer. From what I see it always happen on an already selected layer.

But moving a layer that you just created is very common, at least for me.

• Staff
26 minutes ago, jubarbie said:

This doesn't happen all the time, I can't really find a logic. Find attached the full uncut video, you'll see I've made multiple tries before this bug happen.

I've raised this with the team, If you're able to identify a workflow which results in this consistently happening on a file let me know.