You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

I have curves which have a LOT of points (Imported). I would realy like to have smooth curves, close to the original curve. Sadly "smooth curve" function makes everything messed up and the original shape will get lost. 

Am I missing a function or a workflow step?

Best,

PBc

1.PNG

Edited by PBc
tipos

• Staff

Hi PBC,

If smooth curves isn't working I can't really think of any way that you might be able to reduce the number of nodes in your path this can be an unfortunate side effect of importing vectors created with different applications.

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

In case you have access to other vector based software too (like Illustrator, Inkscape see bottom page "Simplification", Vectornator Ipad) you can try their simplify path functions, in order to see if it makes any difference here then.

See also:

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Is it possible to upload the file for us to look at?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

You can even in ADe simplify things slightly here, so be leaved with less nodes/points ...

glatte_kurven.jpg.850c992e2eea0a9edcfdcd7a99951ab2.jpg

Select a bunch of nodes and perform (1), afterwards select the smooth nodes and perform (2).

glatte_kurven2.jpg.ca952ab03984653f9b99497bfd00575c.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

11 minutes ago, PBc said:

...or hand scetch

This would offer the most compact/optimized shape/curve creation, aka when in ADe manually redrawn and adjusted accordingly, in terms of the amount of nodes usage then.

looking at the file there are a lot of nuanced points that are kind of necessary to the shape. Looks like you have traced to vector, and, as I know fractals have a lot of detail so I'm not surprised there are so many nodes.

I doubt very much this is a consequence of import, i.e. Affinity Designer adding nodes for the sake of it.

What is the end goal here by the way.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

22 hours ago, firstdefence said:

What is the end goal here by the way.

Making a simple(r) (vector) version of the image by using a fast workflow to iterate on different images (comming from a python script).

Vectored form would be used for all kind of designs.

• 8 months later...

Given an svg file, it should be possible to create a script to 'defractalise' it. I can see how it could be done, but it would not be a trivial exercise!

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

1 minute ago, John Rostron said:

Given an svg file, it should be possible to create a script to 'defractalise' it. I can see how it could be done, but it would not be a trivial exercise!

John

Generally i'm amazed of software engeeners and work of them. Nothing is trivial in the backstage. I am only a "clicker" of the most top layer of the software. Below of it is magic of algorythms.🤯

• 2 weeks later...

There is definetely missing a dialog for setting the strength of the smoothing. Have an imported GPS-Track here with thousends of points - and one click on "smooth curve" reduces them to about 10! The result is lacking any resemblance of the original curve.
Currently this tool is utterly useless.

image.png.20ea9e3e372d67c6dde7a0b2f8bb5d65.png
image.png.4ad8abfb1b0b2fa8c9960735a2b305d1.png

45 minutes ago, maxen said:

There is definetely missing a dialog for setting the strength of the smoothing. Have an imported GPS-Track here with thousends of points - and one click on "smooth curve" reduces them to about 10! The result is lacking any resemblance of the original curve.
Currently this tool is utterly useless.
Sadly I can't upload screenshots - I get an error message every time (error 200).

Unfortunately smothing in my particular example :( is not reducing any number of nodes. It's multiplying them x2

smoothing_example.jpg

• 6 months later...

I still hope they improve this fearure. Another bug is, when zooming in on a curve with a lot of points (as in my example above), AD becomes absolute inresponsive. You literally can't do anything because AD seems to recalculate all the time, even, if you don't do anything.