You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I purchased Affinity in New Zealand where the spelling is set to NZ spelling in the dictionaries. I have since moved to the USA and changed the spelling in two locations in Affinity and once on the mac system preferences. But it still defers to the NZ spelling. Is there anywhere else to look? words like honor is a mistake.

How do I correct this

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

Are you having problems with the Spelling Language in new documents that you create, or in documents you previously created?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

OK. What two places did you change it in your Affinity application?

Are you creating the new documents from scratch, not based on any earlier document or template?

Can you provide a sample new Affinity document with the problem?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

The first place is in the preferences, under general down the bottom where it talks about spelling. I've looked for the other, I thought it was under spelling but is not.

the documents are from scratch not converted from Indesign.

As to providing a sample a sample. I've tried typing with the American spelling but I do not like the underlined so I correct it. i have nothing with the American spelling underlined. I'll keep looking.

I don't doubt that it's happening, but it would help to have an actual sample .afpub (or .afdesign, etc.) document.

-- Walt
PC:

I will send two examples one that has been put together in indesign in NZ and the other newly done.

There is a place in there somewhere, I have been into it twice which is about language. Under english it has:

English (UK), (Australia), (New Zealand), and three or four others. But

English (USA) is not there it goes on from there to other languages.

Rob

13a Harman Needhams.afpub Act Like Men.afpub

On 5/26/2022 at 11:41 AM, Rob Warrington said:

I will send two examples one that has been put together in indesign in NZ and the other newly done.

Thanks.

In Act Like Men, all text is in English (UK) except for "Not My Will 3 Act Like Men" and "Step 16".

In 13a Harman Needhams:

• 4 blocks of text are in English (UK):
    image.png.bb6fa53ef92e7a78c5068b5dcc3c8366.png

• But many small chunks of text are in English (US):
    image.png.dc49e02031cd8045d9536eff1909275b.png

Within Affinity Publisher:

1. You can set the User Interface language in Preferences, General. It should default to the system language, if the system language is one of the interface languages supported by the Affinity applications. In Mac (more so than Windows, I think) there can be some confusion here with what "English" means, as (I think) Affinity can show English without any country qualifier which should mean the variant you have the system set to use.

2. The User Interface language also becomes the default Spelling Language for the built-in Text Style named Base. All other built-in Text Styles inherit from Base. So when you want to use the interface language as your spelling language, and you use the built-in Text Styles, that's all automatic when you're creating a new document.

3. However, if you use your own Text Styles you need to set the Spelling Language yourself, which you would do in the Language part of the Text Style definition when you set it up. And it will be more complex if you use multiple Text Styles and you don't set them up to inherit from some base style.

4. If you're not using Text Styles, you can set the Spelling Language in the Character panel, which has a Language section near the bottom. If you do that before you add text to a Text Frame, all the text you add shoulld have that Spelling Language.

If you need to change the Spelling Language for text that is already present, then if it uses Text Styles just update the Text Style definitions. If it doesn't use Text Styles, you'll need to select all the text and change it using the Character panel.

5. You can also create a new document, draw a Text Frame, and set the Character panel to the Spelling Language you want. Then, wth the text style fields in the Context Toolbar set to the default [No Style] you can use Edit > Defaults > Synchronize from Selection to set the default "no style" attributes for the rest of the document. You can also follow that with Edit > Defaults > Save to set those options as defaults for future new documents.

-- Walt
PC:

Thank you for your reply it was very helpful.

When we first arrived in the US I was able to switch the one in preference/general across to the USA. but everything still continued as UK English.

I have changed the one in preference/filler text to English. That has English: Canada, UK, Australia, India, Singapore and Japan. That has stayed on English.

The other one in character is the same as filler text with no US English. When I put it to English I get US English but it keeps jumping across to UK English every time I use it so no real difference except for the first time.

18 minutes ago, Rob Warrington said:

When I put it to English I get US English but it keeps jumping across to UK English every time I use it so no real difference except for the first time.

My step 5 above should take care of that.

Note that the Filler Text setting is not a preference, in the way you're thinking of preferences. That one says, this is the Filler Text to use if the user asks for Filler Text and the Text Frame is set to use <specified language>. That allows you to have specific Filler Text for different languages.

-- Walt
PC: