You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Brush issues (different to preview).

If you pick a thick brush from "Basic" group and paint some shapes you will notice the following issues:

1. Center color is more transparent(gray) and border is more opaque(black). 
NOTE: If you reduce "flow" parameter to 10%, the center of the brush becomes more opaque, which is very strange. (see uploaded image)

2. "Blend mode" has a lot of interesting options but they don't seem to change anything, in most cases.

I've been programming computer games and graphic effects some time ago and had to solve similar problems related to transparency calculations. I hope it helps.

Nothing more to say, except that your software is very good, congrats.

ap-brush-issue.png

42 minutes ago, Jose3DSigner said:

NOTE: If you reduce "flow" parameter to 10%, the center of the brush becomes more opaque, which is very strange.

Why is that strange? The more you reduce the flow, the less diffuse (and therefore the more opaque) the brush stroke becomes.

"Blend mode" has a lot of interesting options but they don't seem to change anything, in most cases.

Try experimenting with different colour combinations.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

37 minutes ago, Jose3DSigner said:

1. Center color is more transparent(gray) and border is more opaque(black). 

You have Wet Edges enabled on the Context Toolbar. And your brush is configured "Don't set wet edges" which means it won't change what you have set already.

39 minutes ago, Jose3DSigner said:

2. "Blend mode" has a lot of interesting options but they don't seem to change anything, in most cases.

You also have configured the brush not to change the Blend Mode, so it will use whatever you've set on the Context Toolbar.

If you have a question about what the different Blend Modes should do, please provide an example.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

34 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

You have Wet Edges enabled on the Context Toolbar. And your brush is configured "Don't set wet edges" which means it won't change what you have set already.

You also have configured the brush not to change the Blend Mode, so it will use whatever you've set on the Context Toolbar.

If you have a question about what the different Blend Modes should do, please provide an example.

Wow, just what I needed, thank you for your quick response! 

2 hours ago, Alfred said:

Why is that strange? The more you reduce the flow, the less diffuse (and therefore the more opaque) the brush stroke becomes.

Try experimenting with different colour combinations.

It found strange that flow at 1% was producing transparent strokes, 10% opaque and then 100% transparent again.

The problem was the "wet edges" option, which was enabled in the tool bar.

(btw, I still don't understand why having selected "Don't use wet edges" in the brush configuration panel, this option can still be used)

Thank you!!!

1 hour ago, Jose3DSigner said:

btw, I still don't understand why having selected "Don't use wet edges" in the brush configuration panel, this option can still be used

You have three choices when building your brush:

Set Wet Edges On. You would use that if you think your brush will work best with Wet Edges on.

Set Wet Edges Off. You would use that if you think it would work best with Wet Edges off.

Don't Set Wet Edges. This option leaves the setting alone, either on or off, as the user or the last brush had it set.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hello again!

First, let me correct the title which should be something like this: Brush editor downsides (real strokes are different from preview) sorry for my bad English, btw.

As you perfectly explained previously, some brush values are editable from outside the brush editor window, and it's ok, but the downside to having a stroke preview that does not coincide with the expected real strokes is that the brush editor UI becomes visually confusing, as you could have noticed in the attached image:

1. Top example: Preview stroke is opaque while real strokes are transparent.

2. Bottom example: Preview stroke is transparent while real strokes are opaque.

To be franc, it's a bit confusing for my way of thinking.

Finally, thank you for your thoroughful explanations and, please, consider that my erratic use of your software could easily be affecting more users. Anyway, I hope Affinity team will appreciate my feedback as I probably would.