You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Error when Edit in Affinity Photo from Apple Photos

Hello. 

I'm having this error with every jpeg picture, that doesn't allow me to edit a picture from Apple Photos with Affinity Photo. Here below, you can find the steps to reproduce the issue. It happens with every single photo.

In Apple Photos:

1. Open a photo (jpeg)
  2. Open the Adjust panel
  3. Go to "Extensions" and click on "Edit in Affinity Photo"
  4. The picture will open in Affinity Photo where you can do your processing.
  5. Close Affinity Photo, saving the changes when requested.
  6. Back into Apple Photos, there is a very small thumbnail of your photo and a text reading "Editing complete - press Save to keep these changes"
  7. Click on the "Save Changes" button
  8. An error message appears stating that "Cannot edit with Edit in Affinity Photo - there was an unexpected error"

None of the Affinity Photo adjustments have been saved after the error.

What can I do to edit a photo from my Apple Photos library with Affinity Photo?

Thank you. Best regards.

• Staff

Hi @cristian5th,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

Sorry to hear you're having trouble! I can confirm our team are aware of a few issues with this functionality, however a potential workaround is listed within the development log regarding this.

After opening your images in Affinity and applying the edits, please use File > Save and then File > Close, rather than using the prompt to save when simply closing the file.

Does this correctly return the edited image to Apple Photos?

Can you also please confirm which version of macOS you're currently running?

Many thanks in advance!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

I very rarely have this problem too. I always end the editing with File > Save and then File > Close .

In this case I open the Apple Document in Affinity Photo under "Rescent files". Then I open the photo to be changed via "Edit in Affinity Photo" in Apple Photos and copy all layers from the file opened first into this file. It's cumbersome but saves the job.

What's more annoying is that I often have to click "Edit with Affinity Photo" several times in Apple Photo for the image to be submitted. It was with Big Sur and it still is with Monterey. Of course I don't know if this is due to Affinity Photo.

• Staff

Thanks for letting me know and I'm sorry to hear this @Erwe - I can confirm that the editing occasionally not saving is already logged with our developers, so I'll be sure to 'bump' this report with them now.

On 5/24/2022 at 9:15 PM, Erwe said:

What's more annoying is that I often have to click "Edit with Affinity Photo" several times in Apple Photo for the image to be submitted. It was with Big Sur and it still is with Monterey. Of course I don't know if this is due to Affinity Photo.

I'm not seeing this behaviour here, does this happen most often when Affinity Photo is closed, or is the app already open and simply the image doesn't transfer from one app to the other? :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

On 5/26/2022 at 11:12 AM, Dan C said:

I'm not seeing this behaviour here, does this happen most often when Affinity Photo is closed, or is the app already open and simply the image doesn't transfer from one app to the other? :)

It makes no difference whether Affinity Photo is already open or not.
I had this problem with my iMac and it is also present with the Mac Studio.

@Dan C, with MacOS 12.4, your trick of saving first and close later it does work sometimes, but not always. I have not been able to determine what is causing this difference.

On 5/24/2022 at 10:15 PM, Erwe said:

This is also true for me. I usually need to click twice on "Edit with Affinity Photo" whatever Affinity is already open or not.

• 5 months later...

If I'm reading this correctly it appear this has been a known issue since May 2022. I'm currently testing Affinity 2 on a 30d trial and have this issue when attempting to edit an image in Apple Photos using Affinity 2 as an extension. This is a definite show stopper for me. Are you nearing a resolution or should I seek another software package for photo editing?

Thank you for your response!

• Staff

Welcome to the Affinity Forums @gzenitsky :)

Currently this issue is still logged with our developers, for both V1 & V2 - I will be sure to 'bump' this issue with your report now.

We do hope to have this bug resolved in a future update, however I'm unable to provide a specific eta for resolution at this time, my apologies.

• 6 months later...

After finding this forum topic, this seems to have been going on for over a year now with no resolution, yet. I have a new MacBook Air 13" (M2–2022 model), macOS Ventura 13.4, using Affinity Photo 1.10.6. I also have Designer and Publisher. These are not the new V2 apps.

I have also been experiencing the same exact two issues as stated above:

1. Having to select "Edit with Affinity Photo" twice from within Apple Photos, whether Affinity is open or not.
  2. After editing in Affinity Photo and going back to Apple Photos to save, receiving the error message: "Cannot edit with Edit in Affinity Photo - there was an unexpected error".

I have also been encountering a few other issues most of the time as follows:

1. If a photo has been edited in any way in Apple Photos (crop, magic wand, etc.) and saved in Apple Photos, many times the original unedited version is what opens up when selecting to edit in Affinity Photo.
  2. Randomly a previous edited photo will be the one to open up in Affinity Photo to be edited.
  3. Also randomly, a previous edited photo from Affinity Photo will open up in Apple Photos when saving/closing edit in Affinity Photo.

Not sure when these issues will be resolved. it's important since I rely on Affinity for my edits. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

In God's Harmony

In God's Harmony

• 2 weeks later...

I am a brand new Affinity user.  My work flow is integrated to Apple Photos, and I want to use Affinity for the more elaborate edits that Apple Photos can not do.

When I try to send the photo out to edit using the extension, Affinity app opens, but the photo fails to open (9 times out of 10).  I get the error message:

"An error occurred while preparing external edit.

The operation couldn't be completed.

(PHPhotosErrorDomain error 3306.)"

To be clear, this extension works "sometimes". The photo opens in Affinity, the edits save back to Apple Photos as they should.  BUT it only works occasionally, not sure why, but this will not work for me.  Please help me solve this.

I am using iOS Ventura 13.4.1, and Affinity 2.1.1

Edited by OurRamVan
Additional info

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @roddy,

This thread is a report for Affinity V1, if you are using Affinity V2 and experiencing issues with the Apple Photos extension - please create a new post for this as the options available for the V2 app are different from V1 and therefore need logging with our developers separately.

Many thanks in advance :)

• Staff

Thanks for confirming that for me - unfortunately as I understand it, V1 is not due to receive any further bug updates for existing issues, my apologies.

Our team has committed to providing updates for V1 should a macOS/Windows update stop the app from running, you can find out more about this in the following post under the V1 Updates section:

I hope this clears things up.

Dan,

Thanks for the reply. It's a shame that we Affinity V1 owners will have to keep bearing the error issue that was discovered about 2 years ago. I purchased all three Affinity apps: Photo, Designer, and Publisher. and I can not upgrade to V2 at the moment as it is an additional expense after purchasing all three apps, even with the 25% discount.

Once again, I appreciate the response.

In God's Harmony