You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Clipping vector mask results in rasterized image

I'm using PDF 1.5 (Acrobat 5), CMYK, FOGRA 39, color space converted, Rasteriziation only for unsupported features. This is my normal export preset for printing CMYK.
As I wrote, when clipping mask is removed, the same document with the same preset is not rasterized.

Hm, that works. But how is it done?
For clipping I'd normally take a vector element, fill it and then drag it onto a group or object and it becomes a vector clipping mask.
I'd be interested to know, how you have done your clipping mask.
Thanks!

9 minutes ago, thadeusz said:

I'd be interested to know, how you have done your clipping mask.

I just dragged the Group into the Clipping Mask (no fill or stroke colour).

----------
Windows 10 / 11, Complete Suite Retail and Beta

47 minutes ago, thadeusz said:

For clipping I'd normally take a vector element, fill it and then drag it onto a group or object and it becomes a vector clipping mask.

That’s masking or cropping. For clipping, you need to do it the other way around, as @joe_l described:

36 minutes ago, joe_l said:

I just dragged the Group into the Clipping Mask (no fill or stroke colour).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

7 minutes ago, Alfred said:

That’s masking or cropping. For clipping, you need to do it the other way around, as @joe_l described:

Like the OP I would expect both ways to work the same, in particular because Affinity has a special tool for such moments:

• The Vector Crop Tool. This is also known to force resampling for cropped images on export – whereas a Picture Frame does not.

• Is there any technical reason or need for rasterisation on export?
• And why only for 1 of 2 ways?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

4 minutes ago, thomaso said:

• Is there any technical reason or need for rasterisation on export?
• And why only for 1 of 2 ways?

I don’t know, Thomas. It may be related to the fact that a cropping object completely disappears from view but the parts of a clipping object that lie outside of the target remain visible. However, that’s just guesswork on my part.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

It may be related to the fact that a cropping object completely disappears from view but the parts of a clipping object that lie outside of the target remain visible.

Unlikely. Here the orange cropped object is fully visible (visually un-cropped) but gets rasterized – while the green is truly cropped but NOT rasterized.

1908588901_clipvscrop1.jpg.bc0e34aaaa761932d81f816ba81540f0.jpg –> 1884745838_clipvscrop2.jpg.9f215b80da68678f0ab086b5abdb9110.jpg

Rasterization seems to be caused by the involved Group layer. Note, the mask is nested inside the Group + the object is below the mask. So the mask is neither nested in the object (as with the green object) – nor is the object nested inside its cropping mask – as it would be in a clipping mask with the group as nested object.

However, here the rasterization appears not only confusing but unnecessary, too. – I agree, it occurs buggy.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1