You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Some photoshop features in affinity photo?

Hello,

I miss some features of photoshop in AP. Like the alt+click on a layer, to blend all other layers out. By doing this again -> all other layers blending in again.

The other feature is to apply layers to the surface of another layer below of it (alt+click between the layers).

Here a screencapture of what I mean: 

Edited by Marcel Korth

• Staff

Hi @Marcel Korth, both of these features are present in the Affinity apps. Alt-clicking (Windows) or Option-clicking (macOS) on a layer isolates it: https://affinity.help/photo/English.lproj/pages/LayerOperations/isolating.html — the only difference here is that you must click onto a different layer to exit isolation mode.

As regards alt-clicking layers to clip them, Affinity has a concept called child layers. You can click-drag a layer and offer it to another layer, but there are two distinct behaviours here:

• Offering your source layer over the target layer's thumbnail makes the source layer act as a mask.
  • Offering your source layer over the target layer's text/label will clip the source layer to the bounds of the target layer.

Once a layer is inside another layer, it is referred to as a child layer, and the top layer is referred to as the parent layer. To replicate the example in your video, you would click-drag that image layer onto the text/label of the text layer and release the mouse button.

An alternative way to do this is to use the menu option Arrange>Move Inside. You can also create a shortcut for this—I use Shift+Alt+I—to speed up compositing workflows. You will also find an option in the shortcuts for Insert Inside—I like to shortcut this to Shift+I. Once it is toggled, the next layer created will automatically be placed inside the currently selected layer, so this is really useful for quickly clipping adjustments/live filters inside the current layer.

Hope the above helps!

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks a lot, James!

This is very helpful for me. 

Now I have another problem :D

How can I put affinity designer into the personas of affinity photo (and reversed too)? It seems to be that affinity designer is needed to have for more options to design text better.

Thanks for your help!

Cheers

Marcel

Edited by Marcel Korth

Ich nehme mal an, dass du Deutsch sprichst, deswegen antworte ich auf Deutsch.

Wieso Persona?

Du kannst doch ganz einfach über das Menu "Datei-> In Affinity Designer bearbeiten" bzw. "Datei-> In Affinity Photo bearbeiten" deine Grafik zwischen den Programmen "hin- und herschubsen".

1 hour ago, Marcel Korth said:

How can I put affinity designer into the personas of affinity photo (and reversed too)? It seems to be that affinity designer is needed to have for more options to design text better.

You cant. Both Apps have different Personas, giving you different subsets of overall functionality.

• The Pixel Persona of Designer is a small subset of Photo Persona in Photo App (e.g. no filters at all)
  • Photo does not have a Designer Persona. You have a small subset of Vector objects and functions available in Photo Persona (e.g. no vector brush, expand stroke, symbols)
  •  As @bizzl said, if you have both Apps installed, you can switch between both “studio link”, to utilize all functions. 

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

20 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

As @bizzl said, if you have both Apps installed, you can switch between both “studio link”, to utilize all functions. 

Technically, File > Edit In, which @bizzl suggested, is not Studio Link. Studio Link is only part of Publisher, and enables direct access to the Designer Persona and the Photo Persona of those two applications without having to transfer the image by using Edit In.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, bizzl said:

Ich nehme mal an, dass du Deutsch sprichst, deswegen antworte ich auf Deutsch.

Wieso Persona?

Du kannst doch ganz einfach über das Menu "Datei-> In Affinity Designer bearbeiten" bzw. "Datei-> In Affinity Photo bearbeiten" deine Grafik zwischen den Programmen "hin- und herschubsen".

Genau sowas habe ich im Grunde gesucht, danke, bizzl :)

43 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Technically, File > Edit In, which @bizzl suggested, is not Studio Link. Studio Link is only part of Publisher, and enables direct access to the Designer Persona and the Photo Persona of those two applications without having to transfer the image by using Edit In.

1 hour ago, NotMyFault said:

You cant. Both Apps have different Personas, giving you different subsets of overall functionality.

• The Pixel Persona of Designer is a small subset of Photo Persona in Photo App (e.g. no filters at all)
  • Photo does not have a Designer Persona. You have a small subset of Vector objects and functions available in Photo Persona (e.g. no vector brush, expand stroke, symbols)
  •  As @bizzl said, if you have both Apps installed, you can switch between both “studio link”, to utilize all functions. 

Thank you, walt.farrel & NotMyFault :) now i Know what I have to do. Greetz!