You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Export Workflow For Icons (using slices)

It'd be wonderful if the ability to export slices was expanded even further for the creation of icon sets. With icons, I want the ability to dump raster images of various sizes. So, for example I might want to:

1.) For each slice, generate a PNG file with the object centered at 16x16, 24x24, 32x32, 64x64, 128x128, and 256x256

2.) For each slice, create a .ico file with all of the following images at multiple color depths.

Use case #1 is something I need multiple times per week. Use case #2 is fairly rare.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to add support for this request.  It's essential for anyone doing icon work.

We need to be able to export slices at multiple point sizes and multiple pixel depths.  Perhaps there can be some way for users to define "export sets," or something like that.

For example, here are the requirements for iOS icons:

29pt@1x, 29pt@2x

40pt@1x, 40pt@2x

60pt@2x, 60pt@3x

76pt@1x, 76pt@2x

512pt@1x, 512pt@2x

...and for Mac icons:

16pt@1x, 16pt@2x

32pt@1x, 32pt@2x

128pt@1x, 128pt@2x

256pt@1x, 256pt@2x

512pt@1x, 512pt@2x

It'd be wonderful if the ability to export slices was expanded even further for the creation of icon sets. With icons, I want the ability to dump raster images of various sizes. So, for example I might want to:

1.) For each slice, generate a PNG file with the object centered at 16x16, 24x24, 32x32, 64x64, 128x128, and 256x256

2.) For each slice, create a .ico file with all of the following images at multiple color depths.

Use case #1 is something I need multiple times per week. Use case #2 is fairly rare.

@ 1) Why not just create a template that you can use? UPDATE: Or export the big size and use a simple automator action if you're just using the same image for all sizes anyways.

Just wanted to add support for this request.  It's essential for anyone doing icon work.

We need to be able to export slices at multiple point sizes and multiple pixel depths.  Perhaps there can be some way for users to define "export sets," or something like that.

For example, here are the requirements for iOS icons:

29pt@1x, 29pt@2x

40pt@1x, 40pt@2x

60pt@2x, 60pt@3x

76pt@1x, 76pt@2x

512pt@1x, 512pt@2x

...and for Mac icons:

16pt@1x, 16pt@2x

32pt@1x, 32pt@2x

128pt@1x, 128pt@2x

256pt@1x, 256pt@2x

512pt@1x, 512pt@2x

Created a template for iOS icons - creating one for mac icons should be just as easy. No Reason to bloat the export function for simple use cases like this in my opinion :)

UPDATE: Or just export the biggest and use automator actions. The whole idea behind having icons at different sizes is if you want to pixel perfect them and maybe add more detail to the bigger ones and a simple export function in e.g. Affinity Designer can't give you that anyways. 

My iOS template that you can use for icon testing - will recommend that you pay attention to the smaller sizes and don't just downscale for your final product: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/3297-ios-app-icon-template/