You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Possible to create a silhouette of an object in a picture?

Newbie question. 

Please see attached photo as an example.  Is it possible to just create the contour of the boat and other areas like the windows in order to laser cut the form?  I have looked at Vector Magic but I don't think that's what I need.  Is there a trace option in Designer?  Thanks for your time.  

boatexample.jpg

There is no trace option in any of the Affinity apps, you can try VectorMagic but personally I would do it with the Pen tool pentool_lightui@2x.png.3e392b85b5e0dc8f1c2784c399cb048d.png

Put on some music, get a drink and pen tool away.

Here are a few results from VectorMagic

boatexample - med.svg boatexample - high.svg boatexample - Low.svg

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

5 hours ago, anto said:

To create the contour of the boat and other areas you can try to use plugin for Affinity Photo G'MIC.

aff_gmic.thumb.JPG.6f9a024170a7e04e35a240d52a0c2c0a.JPG

And then erase white paper.

If you want to trace the image, this well does Inkscape - free, and then you can edit it in Designer.

inks2.JPG.185d005cae44b5ce7175c5f1ae0d3f8f.JPG

inks.JPG.83941856796bd9ad04acdcb11e3ee556.JPG

inks3.JPG.5b1eff82cd9f0521e4e3690112d47e41.JPG

Thank you for this info.  Will this plugin work with Designer?  I couldn't see an option in the Preferences menu for plugins to add.  Thanks!

21 minutes ago, KariF said:

Will this plugin work with Designer?

Designer does not support plugins.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

As Walt said above, Designer has no plug-in capability.
Note: The G’MIC result, as shown, will not be a vector and won’t be usable for laser cutting.

Inkscape is not a plug-in, it’s an application.

Note: When quoting people, it’s easier for other people to know which part of the post you are responding to if you only quote the parts of the post that relate to what you are responding to, rather than the whole post.

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

Note: When quoting people, it’s easier for other people to know which part of the post you are responding to if you only quote the parts of the post that relate to what you are responding to, rather than the whole post.

Sorry.  Noted.

12 hours ago, KariF said:

Please see attached photo as an example.  Is it possible to just create the contour of the boat and other areas like the windows in order to laser cut the form?

With some good vectorizer/tracer that shouldn't be a problem. As you already mentioned you can use Vector Magic for this job, or use Inkscape's build-in tracers ... etc.

However for quick turnarounds and good results you may want to play around with VTracer here!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2