You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

affinity photo brushed not showing in panel

Hope this is in the right area and that someone can help me figure this out. Some of my texture brush thumbnails (in the brush drop down panel) are blank(ish). The space is there but the picture is gone and number size are missing. If I click on them they work but I don't know which one I'm choosing.  When I double click the edit brush window opens without a sample but it will let me edit it but again I don't know what I'll end up with. This has happened many months ago though restarting fixed it but this hasn't helped this time and it's been days. Any smart folk out there have ideas.

Screen shot of issue attached.

Windows 10

Affinity Photo 1.10.5.1342

affinty brush blank.JPG

The brushes are there, just nearly impossible to see due to the poor Light UI design. We almost have to use the Dark UI to see brushes, assets, ect. Screenshots are of the same, with only the UI changed from light to dark.

dark_UI.jpg.9e19af718b52599fc3d7e405b9e05df0.jpglight_UI.jpg.97164cd147eb55f116d93d865019d488.jpg

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

• Staff

Hi @CRWillow,

Sorry to see you're having trouble!

Although the UI colour can sometimes cause brushes/assets to be harder to view in this list, as Ron has covered above, I would still expect the brush sizes to show here, and I'm not currently certain why these are hidden for some brushes in your screenshot -

10 hours ago, CRWillow said:

affinty brush blank.JPG

I'd therefore like to request a copy of your brushes file, to investigate this further. Can you please open Windows Run (Windows Key + R) then paste the following string and press OK:

%APPDATA%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\user

In the window that opens, please select raster_brushes.propcol, then attach this to your reply here.

Alongside this file, can you also please open the Affinity app and navigate to Edit > Preferences > Performance and provide a screenshot of your settings here for me?

Many thanks in advance!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

• Staff

Many thanks for providing this file & screenshot for me!

I have imported your file into my version of Affinity Photo on Windows here and the brushes are appearing as expected for me, so I'd like to try a few things on your machine.

Firstly, please navigate to View > Studio > Brushes and untick this option, you should find the Brushes Studio is no longer displayed. Now repeat these steps to reopen the Studio - does this change the behaviour shown?

If not, please once again navigate to Edit > Preferences > Performance and untick Hardware Acceleration. Restart the app as prompted and then try using this category once more. Does this resolve the issue for you please? 

Many thanks once again :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

I tried both but still have the same issue. Restarted both Photo and my pc. Really thought one of those would work. Should I turn the acceleration back on? 

This may be nothing but in the brush panel the little Edit brush icon doesn't open. "Edit brush..." appears when I hover over it but clicking it doesn't do anything. I usually edit by double clicking and just noticed this because I'm trying every thing, Is it supposed to do something? It's not doing anything for the other brush categories either, not just Textures.

Thank you for helping me out; I appreciate it.

• Staff

Thanks for trying that and I'm sorry to hear this hasn't helped! You are welcome to turn Hardware Acceleration back on if you wish :)

On 5/25/2022 at 3:31 AM, CRWillow said:

This may be nothing but in the brush panel the little Edit brush icon doesn't open. "Edit brush..." appears when I hover over it but clicking it doesn't do anything. I usually edit by double clicking and just noticed this because I'm trying every thing, Is it supposed to do something? It's not doing anything for the other brush categories either, not just Textures.

That's certainly strange, but could be an indication of the larger issue at play here. Again this isn't the behaviour I'm experiencing with your brushes file.

On 5/25/2022 at 3:35 AM, CRWillow said:

brush window for edit.JPG

This would indicate that the application doesn't believe a brush to be selected currently, which is interesting to see.

Therefore I'd like to try the following:

Firstly, please make sure Affinity Photo is closed, then can you please open Windows Run (Windows Key + R) then paste the following string and press OK:

%APPDATA%\Affinity\Photo\

In the window that opens, please select the '1.0' folder, then move this to a standard user location, such as your Desktop or Documents folder.

Now, launch Affinity Photo - you should find the application has been reset to default settings, with only the default brushes available etc.

Are you now able to use this 'Edit Brush' option as expected? Please note you need to have a brush selected in the Brushes Studio to use this option.

Once you've tested this option, close Affinity Photo and return to the above AppData\Affinity\Photo folder. Please delete the 1.0 folder here which has just been created, and replace it with the 1.0 folder we moved to your Desktop/Documents folder earlier.

Now relaunch Affinity and you should find that your custom brushes etc have been restored. Do these now act as expected, or are they still showing the same incorrect behaviours?

Secondly, can you please check the following list and let me know if any of these are installed on your PC?

Many thanks!

After moving 1.0 folder and restarting AP - I agreed to terms... opened a new document and I have no brushes. I cheked the %APPDATA%\Affinity\Photo\ folder and there is a 1.0 folder. I restarted AP but still have not brushes.

No, I haven't any of those software programs installed not that I could find; I know companies sneak them in sometimes but I couldn't find them.

1.0 moved.JPG

54 minutes ago, CRWillow said:

I restarted AP but still have not brushes.

If you open C:\Program Files\Affinity\Photo\Resources\Affinity Photo in File Explorer, do you have a raster_brushes.propcol file there, and what size is it?

Mine looks like this: image.png.4b75274e7908a962755d3d8adf10efc1.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I don't see one. Screen shot attached of what I have.

I may have fixed my immediate problem but not sure if it will stick or why it malfunction. I used to use Photoshop and had lots of brushes. As a back up I created a folder with copies of most of my brushes (hopefully) and imported the same category as Texture 2 and it shows the brushes. I would like to know what's going on but maybe I'll have to redownload periodically.

Some brushes wouldn't work in Affinity though they said they downloaded they didn't show up in the panel.

looking for raster brush.JPG

If those folders are all you have, and don't have any propcol files, something messed up with your install. You should have this;

resources_propcolfiles.jpg

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

I agree with @Ron P.

Possibly your anti-virus (anti-malware, etc.) programs removed part of the installation for some reason? In any case, I would uninstall, and reinstall, Affinity Photo and see if that helps.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

6 minutes ago, CRWillow said:

Would this have affected Designer too?

It could.

-- Walt
PC:

I turned off all my protection and did the reinstall and everything came back, checked and my files and they looked like Ron P. snapshot but then AP said there was a new update available and I installed it. Restarted everything and now I'm back to the same issues. My texture has blanks and the extra files are missing from C:\Program Files\Affinity\Photo\Resources\Affinity Photo.  So this must have something to do with the update but I can't see why other people aren't having trouble.

I reinstalled AD while I have the protection shut down just in case. It seems to be fine. It has the extra  prop files in just in the resource folder.

• Staff

Sorry to hear this @CRWillow, it certainly sounds as though something is affecting your local installation - so I'd like to request a list of all installed apps on your PC.

Can you please follow the below steps to generate this list from CMD/Powershell -

https://theitbros.com/how-to-get-list-of-installed-programs-in-windows-10/#:~:text=any text file%3B-,How to Get a,execute the following command%3A,-wmic product get

Then attach a copy of this list here for me? Many thanks once again :)

An awful lot of these apps came with the PC and Windows and don't want to be uninstalled. I've tried but seem to pop back up, like X Box and Netflix.

Settings says I have 99 apps and shell:AppsFolder shown here says 160. Thanks for trying to help me.

installed apps.JPG

10 hours ago, CRWillow said:

shell:AppsFolder shown here

I think Dan wanted you to scroll further down in that article to the spot where it gives instructions for using CMD and WMIC, to get a text listing.

-- Walt
PC:

• Staff

Many thanks for the information provided and my apologies for the delayed response here as I have been out of the office for a week.

Just to confirm for me, in what state is your Affinity application installation currently please?

Do you mean what update? Affinity Photo 1.10.5.1342

Last night, I again uninstalling and reinstalling affinity-photo-1.10.5.exe. It didn't ask to update this time and it seems okay. I hope it stays fixed. I can't really say I did anything different than the last couple times but it appears to be working because the panel is showing all the brushes and it will let me edit them again. Confusing, but if it works that's good.

Sorry to have bothered everyone. But thanks, really. It's nice to know someone is trying to help. Let me know if you need anything from me.