You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Am I doing this right ?

KC82

I am wondering if you might like to try the gradient the other wy up too please, that is, solid at the top then the top of the letters C, l and b would be over a pale part of the BEACH lettering rather than over a solid part. Also, I don't know but I suspect that people will read each of the letters in BEACH from the top, so having the gradient the other way up might make it easier to read. But that is just my thoughts, I am not a trained graphic designer, so this just hobbyist comment not a professional designer level comment.

The placement of the word Club with its relatively small yet noticeable overlay of the word BEACH looks good to me.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

36 minutes ago, William Overington said:

over a pale part of the BEACH lettering rather than over a solid part

When you say “solid”, do you perhaps mean “dark”? The fill for the word BEACH is all solid, but it’s yellow (i.e. relatively pale) at the top and orange (i.e. relatively dark) at the bottom.

I think it looks good as is. It seems logical that it should have the sunny yellow part at the top and the sandy orange part at the bottom.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, William Overington said:

I am wondering if you might like to try the gradient the other wy up too please, that is, solid at the top then the top of the letters C, l and b would be over a pale part of the BEACH lettering rather than over a solid part. Also, I don't know but I suspect that people will read each of the letters in BEACH from the top, so having the gradient the other way up might make it easier to read. But that is just my thoughts, I am not a trained graphic designer, so this just hobbyist comment not a professional designer level comment.

The placement of the word Club with its relatively small yet noticeable overlay of the word BEACH looks good to me.

William

Yeah Im not a professional graphic designer either.I did the gradient that way due to the fact that most references have that light to dark order although they’re mostly in the synthwave style which I’m trying to avoid.I was more wondering there was a noticeable difference between the colors in the Beach letters as there is in the Club.The blues were easier to make a clear distinction between color but I don’t know if it’s clear that with the oranges.I could clearly see it when I had them in the color palette but when I added them to the letters not so much.I also didn’t want to go too dark with the bottom .

32 minutes ago, Alfred said:

When you say “solid”, do you perhaps mean “dark”? The fill for the word BEACH is all solid, but it’s yellow (i.e. relatively pale) at the top and orange (i.e. relatively dark) at the bottom.

I think it looks good as is. It seems logical that it should have the sunny yellow part at the top and the sandy orange part at the bottom.

Thanks.That was the look I was going for with the Beach letters.

In fairness, having read both of your replies, I realize that I need to say that, as my eyes are sensitive and computers tend to have very bright screens I have the night light option on all day. I only turn if off for short periods to check colours. Alas, this time I forgot. So when I read Alfred's comments about Sun and Sand I realized my mistake and turned off the night light setting for a short while and the image looks very different.

Sorry.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

2 hours ago, William Overington said:

computers tend to have very bright screens

Computer displays tend to have brightness controls.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

Computer displays tend to have brightness controls.

Yes they do.

And the maufacturers seem to think that everybody wants a bright display and make no provision for people who have sensitive eyes and who like to look at a screen as if it is a page in a book or a painting on a wall not like some pop concert!

Grumble, grumble, grumble 😀

William