You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo path to selection

I am no expert. So forgive me if I misrepresent the solution. If you want to make a selection and or mask from a selection using the pen tool. When you select the pen tool, the area just above the work area has context related options. You will see pen at the left, for the tool you selected. Next you have option buttons to press, if you want your pen selection to be a mask and or selection. So if you make an area covered by your pen tool, you can push the mask button to create a mask, the selection button, or both. There are also the dedicated selection tools on the left side too, to make selections. The selection brush tool, the flood select tool, and a group that includes the freehand selection, and various shapes for selection. Hope that didn't confuse you, rather than help. 

• 5 years later...

None of the answers are of any help to me. I think the question was, how can a path (created by the pen tool) to be converted into a selection. None of the suggestions given above achieve this. For example, after having created a path (separate layer) and clicking on the mask button part of the context sensitive options, nothing happens and no selection is visible.

• Staff

@ERNST ZIMMER

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) 

Pleased you found your answer. I have changed your display name away from your email address to avoid unnecessary spam.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Hi Patrick, Thank you for changing my display name because, when I think about it, it may have attracted a lot of spam. I have been using Adobe Photoshop for 10 years and my goal is to cut the cord with Adobe over the next few months. I find Affinity Photo very intuitive but there are a few things that are just done a little differently. Nevertheless, I find the UI of Affinity photo very pleasing and even more slick compared with Photoshop and with a little more experience I think I might be able to give Photoshop the flick for good.