You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo destroy GPU

Lol!!!! Doing that is insane as it doesn't record the issue ?! https://support.apple.com/HT208721

What I am doing is:

- Open Affinity Photo latest Version on Mac OS 12.1 on M1
- Open a RAW Image
- OS Graphic goes Crazy - BUG
- Click Cancel on Touch Bar to ignore RAW Image Changes
- Press Cmd + Q to quit Affinity Photo
- OS Graphic goes back to normal

Try turning off Hardware Acceleration in the Affinity Photo preferences. the greyed out stuff at the bottom of the screenshot. Here I have no separate graphics card (this is the 9 year old machine MacBook) so I cannot check the tick box. There are some problems with the graphics on Mac OS 12.x and M1 machines.

726058046_ScreenShot2022-05-21at2_51_38PM.png.4cdd2577754b6889df19aca8875a83e3.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• Staff

Hi @dschiller

Following on from the duplicate post
There are a few things you could try. 

1. Try holding down CTRL  on your keyboard then opening the application. A 'Clear User Data' window should appear, release the CTRL button at this point then press 'Clear'.  
The link below will advise you what is cleared and where assets are stored so they can be backed up.   

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/98906-what-exactly-do-the-clear-user-data-options-clear/&tab=comments#comment-529435   

2. In Preferences > Performance, could you try change Display to OpenGL or Software and see if there is any change? 

The screenshot sent are blurry, however it appears to show some artefacts that could be a sign of a graphics card failure, in this case we would recommend contacting Apple regarding the graphics card in your MacBook. 

The link below demonstrates the symptoms of a potential graphics card failure, which looks very similar to the screenshots you have previously sent.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8289552

It would be best if you could send some clearer screenshot or a clearer screen recording as it is tricky to see the issue in the ones previously sent. 

Regarding 3) I guess some people not aware of the fact that taking a screenshot or doing a screenrecording doesn't work with this bug as the screenshot / screenrecording wouldn't show any artifacts. The only chance is to take a photo - that should be clear here.

Also regarding the Graphics Card this is a brand new Macbook M1 which could properly have GPU Issues but than i really wonder why Affinity Photo is the only App on this Mac which has GPU Issues - using here also Blender, Unreal, Gimp, Final Cut, Softube OpenGL Plugins and none of them has any graphic issues like Affinity Photo.

Also those Artifacts here https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8289552 are looking much different to the ones I have with Affinity Photo.

• Staff
17 minutes ago, dschiller said:

Regarding 1) Holding Ctrl and double click the App on Mac is not working not sure how that could be possible on a Mac as Ctrl invokes a rightclick.

If you hold down Ctrl then open the app via the dropdown menu option to open, then keep pressing Ctrl until the reset dialog box appears.

• Staff

Is this only occurring with RAW files or on any new document? 
If it only occurs on RAW files, please could you advise which Camera model the files were taken on. 

Can you try going to System Preferences > Displays and disable "Automatically adjust brightness". Then see if this has any effect. 

Are you using Metal when running Blender? If not could you try enabling it and advise of the results. 

Could you also try to attach a clearer image of the issue please and advise if there are any other programs running at the same time.

• Staff

Hi @dschiller

Please could you answer a few previously asked questions regarding this. We are asking to try and figure out your issue as it’s not something that’s being reported by other users and we’re unable to replicate it.

• Can you try going to System Preferences > Displays and disable "Automatically adjust brightness". Then see if this has any effect. 
  • Are you using Metal when running Blender? If not could you try enabling it and advise of the results. 
  • Could you also try to attach a clearer image of the issue please and advise if there are any other programs running at the same time.

• Are you using Metal when running Blender? If not could you try enabling it and advise of the results. 
    • No Issues with that. Metal and MetalRt both working.
  • Could you also try to attach a clearer image of the issue please and advise if there are any other programs running at the same time.
    • That is impossible as I need to create a Photograph of the screen
    • No Apps except Affinity Photo running
    • Added some more images
  • Can you try going to System Preferences > Displays and disable "Automatically adjust brightness". Then see if this has any effect. 
    • Indeed deactivating Automatically adjust brightness seems to make Affinity Photo work without GPU Issues

• Why is Affinity Photo the only App which has GPU Issues ?

IMG-3782.JPG

IMG-3783.JPG

IMG-3784.JPG

IMG-3785.JPG

• Staff
6 hours ago, dschiller said:

Indeed deactivating Automatically adjust brightness seems to make Affinity Photo work without GPU Issues

This is a known issue that our developers are working on. There should be a fix in future, the current workaround is to disable auto-brightness.

However the issue you have with auto-brightness enabled is a previously unknown result of this problem, so I will make the relevant teams aware.

• Staff
6 hours ago, dschiller said:

Why is Affinity Photo the only App which has GPU Issues ?

Are you using a bespoke display profile, perhaps one that you have created with a calibration device using DisplayCAL or i1Profiler? Affinity Photo itself isn't doing anything outrageous to corrupt the display like that—I previously had an issue with a Monterey beta that corrupted the screen if a custom display profile was in use. Looks like they are still ironing out issues with the M1 GPU. In System Preferences>Display do you have any other settings that are not at their default, e.g. have you changed from the default P3 1600nit profile?

I believe the only thing we're doing different from other apps is querying the Metal view for the panel's maximum brightness so that 32-bit HDR documents can be mapped to the display accordingly—if we were able to reproduce it here, that would be a good step towards identifying and solving the issue.

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials