You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Art from my hometown, Nyköping

Jochum Berg

Hi all! My first babysteps with Affinity, the car mostly done in Illustrator but the rest, a lot dots and spots and background done in pixelmode in my newly bought Affinity. I'm not a pro but an amateur and I have a couple years drawed pictures over my hometown Nyköping in Sweden. Here is the latest. Though not town but outside. Sorry for the english it's not my first language.
(why I bought affinity is because I bought a new mac to replace my 12 years old one and the old Adobe suite I had did'nt work in the new mac so, and now they had begun with monthly payed system that I as an poor amateur don't afford so I searched for a cheaper program, Affinity is very promising though I miss a few thing, maybe they come in future) 
Best Regards Jochum

nykoping1010affinity.png

@Jochum Berg  Welcome to the Forums!  😊  What nice “baby steps!”   As you become more and more familiar with the lovely Affinity apps I am sure you will find them more and more fun to use!

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

I think as you become more familiar with Designer, controls and functions will be discovered as not everything is named the same or in the place where you may think it would be (especially coming from Illustrator). I used to loathe drawing with illustrator which is why I rarely touched the program for that function. Designer, to me, is much more intuitive, quicker, less buggy, and easier to navigate than Illustrator, and unlike Illustrator, I've NEVER experienced a crash with Designer (Last time I used Illustrator, crashing was almost constant. On super simple functions.). Love the illustration. Simple but detailed just enough.

On 5/23/2022 at 7:07 PM, dannyg9 said:

I think as you become more familiar with Designer, controls and functions will be discovered as not everything is named the same or in the place where you may think it would be (especially coming from Illustrator). I used to loathe drawing with illustrator which is why I rarely touched the program for that function. Designer, to me, is much more intuitive, quicker, less buggy, and easier to navigate than Illustrator, and unlike Illustrator, I've NEVER experienced a crash with Designer (Last time I used Illustrator, crashing was almost constant. On super simple functions.). Love the illustration. Simple but detailed just enough.

I liked more to draw vectors in Flash it was easier somehow with alt command button, though that program lacked many things that illustrator had. Yes Affinity has not crashed once yet though I have used it quite a long time and many times done strange things as a new beginner tend to do, I have also exported bigger files than illustrator was incapable to, yes it seems rock solid. :)  And best of all tonings, graduations, I forgot the english word, I mean where a big background a sky for an example goes from light to dark in blue colour, does not get banding, stripes in it, like it often did in illustrator. (Arghh sorry for the english)
Thank you :)  

On 5/24/2022 at 2:41 PM, Jochum Berg said:

I liked more to draw vectors in Flash it was easier somehow with alt command button, though that program lacked many things that illustrator had. Yes Affinity has not crashed once yet though I have used it quite a long time and many times done strange things as a new beginner tend to do, I have also exported bigger files than illustrator was incapable to, yes it seems rock solid. :)  And best of all tonings, graduations, I forgot the english word, I mean where a big background a sky for an example goes from light to dark in blue colour, does not get banding, stripes in it, like it often did in illustrator. (Arghh sorry for the english)
Thank you :)  

Gradient is the word, I believe, you're looking for.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

A phone booth..., I remember those 😀 I remember flash as well and I liked it. Pity it was banned by corporations. I guess flash advertisements were too easily stopped, so they pushed html5, which is much more difficult to block.

Home: https://vectorwhiz.com  : : : :  Portfolio blog: https://communicats.blogspot.com

On 9/19/2022 at 2:18 AM, VectorWhiz said:

A phone booth..., I remember those 😀 I remember flash as well and I liked it. Pity it was banned by corporations. I guess flash advertisements were too easily stopped, so they pushed html5, which is much more difficult to block.

Looked for coins under the bottom stand when I was a kid, a very few times I got lucky. :D 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Next, a steam locomotive passes on a bridge around 1920. This was hard work the original photo was small, dark and very unsharp so had to search internet for another pictures of the right type of locomotive and the bridge, there are almost no bridges of this kind anymore. (the lines above behind is for telephone if any wondered what it is)nykoping1080.thumb.png.2d25f58a34454a8a94f4b28fbe3bc662.png

• 1 month later...

Hi all! Next picture, I spend ridiculos time on details in the truck, because it was fun, its an american truck (Fargo) the firm (ANA) in my hometown imported parts of the car (and other american brands) over the Atlantic and welded it together and paint it, could almost say they build it. Feel free to zoom in and look at the details. :) 

nykoping1100.thumb.png.a13311145940b3b3556a1d9faa9a2e48.png