You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have little idea how to use the colour palette

I somehow managed to create a new color palette and rename it. Now I want to place my recent colors into it.

IDEALLY I wanted to be able to select color swatches I was using and create a palette from those selections. There may be a way to do that. I don't know. However now I'm looking at a screen where my recent colors are there and I am going to assume there's a way to easily place those colors into my new, empty, palette.

How is that done? Thank you in advance.

post-10831-0-52393400-1450471127_thumb.png

color management is pretty good. learn more Go to > Help  > Workspace > Panels > Swatches panel 

“It takes a very long time to become young.” ― Pablo Picasso

“Apologizing does not always mean you're wrong and the other person is right. It just means you value your relationship more than your ego.” ― Mark Matthews

color management is pretty good. learn more Go to > Help  > Workspace > Panels > Swatches panel 

Well, it appears you can only add colors as a swatch if an object contains that color as a fill or stroke. That means if you are investigating colors you have to create an object, assign the color, THEN create a swatch by ctrl-clicking it and selecting a menu option. It's an extra step considering the fact that you should be able to access relevant color-related features when interacting with the swatches window or color chooser.

An example of why this seems odd (and inconsistent) is that you can create color chord swatches within the swatch window by ctrl-clicking a swatch color. If this feature worked like the swatch creation process it would be like this: Select an object > ctrl-click > Select fill or stroke > Select color chord creation > Swatches then appear in swatch window. THAT is a lot of steps.

Creating swatches clearly should exist within the swatch window. So I found that really confusing and it's inconsistent. You create initial swatches one way. You create additional swatches another way? It's definitely a UX mistake.

But yeah the software is cheap, so okay.

Carmen, I think this is a most useful and (at least for me) wanted video.

Sadly the size and the language makes it very difficult to see and follow.

Maybe a hint to the staff to make a video like that?

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

Carmen, I think this is a most useful and (at least for me) wanted video.

Sadly the size and the language makes it very difficult to see and follow.

Maybe a hint to the staff to make a video like that?

Ok! I've changed the language of my AP into English and I've tried to make it in a better resolution and size. I hope it helps.

https://youtu.be/VQC-7FN7WXg

I can't insert here the video, sorry

Edited by CarmenCo

I'm with estavancarlos in regard to the color picker/swatches panel. in comparison to other features in Designer and Photo that are elegantly and smartly done, this area in both programs seems oddly out of step. Instead of elegant, awkward and cumbersome come more to mind. I hope this is an area that will receive some attention in the future.

Carmen, thank you very much. :)

I have to study the video and take it in gradually. ;)

I agree that it's not very intuitive. I think it will be in time. ;)

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2