You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Capture One vs Affinity Photo

I loaded the same raw image into ArcSoft Photo Viewer, Capture One and Affinity Photo. No auto or manual adjustments were applied. The colors in ArcSoft Photo Viewer and Capture One are much more vivid than Affinity Photo. Why is that?

See below Dropbox links.

ArcSoft Photo https://www.dropbox.com/s/1d7riv7is13ya64/Arcsoft%20Photo.png?dl=0

Capture One https://www.dropbox.com/s/ie2h5iasn441sgk/Capture%20One.png?dl=0

Affinity Photo https://www.dropbox.com/s/894o2cryvp4dzyl/Affinity%20Photo.png?dl=0

I use Capture One. This programme applies same previous default adjustments to the photo previous to your development, it is what the programme understands as the correct adjustments for your camera (something similar to NIkon Picture Controls, if you have a Nikon you will know). If you want to get a complete plain photograph, you have to go to basic features and adjust the curve to "linear response" and then revise all the other adjustments (focus, noise, etc) and set them to 0.

I don't know ArcSoft Photo, but I suppose that it also applies some adjustments, I think most programmes do, I used to use Aperture and it was the same and as each programme makes its own adjustmentes, you never get the same picture in the different programmes, you have to make the adjustments you like. 

What I usually do is use Capture One as my raw editor as I am used to it and it also lets me catalogue my pictures efficiently, and then, the photos that need further edition, I open them in Affinity Photo. You have the option to edit from Capture One in Affinity, it opens the photo in Affinity and the comes back to Capture One to keep it in your catalogue.

As I stated in my original post, there are no auto adjustments in the Capture One image. Also, ArcSoft Photo is a viewer so it does not apply any adjustments. Compare the ArcSoft Photo image to the Affinity Photo image and there is a definite difference in color. 

Capture One ALWAYS makes auto adjustments to your image, even if you don't do anything. You have to remove them if you want to. The programme detects you camera y applies an ICC profile for you camera and with it the adjustments it considers best for you camera. You can remove them as I said in my previous post, set the curve from auto to linear response and revise the rest of adjustments (focus, noise, and I don't remember which more) which have been adjusted and set them to 0. Then you will get a more neutral image.

okorcl.jpg

Capture One ALWAYS makes auto adjustments to your image, even if you don't do anything. You have to remove them if you want to. The programme detects you camera y applies an ICC profile for you camera y with it the adjustments it considers best for you camera. You can remove them as I said in my previous post.

okorcl.jpg

I am inclined to agree. All the established raw converters interperate the raw data to give a starting point. ACR/LR applies Adobe Standard picture controls and the raw converter supplied by Nikon applies the Nikon picture controls. They all seem to provide a "brighter" starting place than AP, although one can of course edit it further. I know little of ArcSoft but if it not applying adjustments might it be reading the embedded jpg data within the raw file?

to compare raw convert at default settings is totally nonsense because it tells you only that different converters have  different default settings and depending on the images some times they work better and sometimes not.  if it is too  much to learn ap to get good results stay with c1 and be happy. 

Have you activatet the assistant to apply a curve? Maybe then the result is more like the output of the other software.

The screenshot is only in german language, but i think the layout should be the same so you can find the command.

post-15446-0-15547300-1450532646_thumb.png

I am with CSP in that the raw preview in AP is not of the same quality as the likes of Capture One or LR for that matter, and I do have the curve applied. Obviously some post processing in the develop persona can improve things but imo the more mature raw editors/developers give a much better starting point and some give far greater control when editing further. As things stand I would only use AP as a pixel editor, using a stand alone raw developer as my first step in the work-flow. In fact I tend to use CNX-D which is Nikons free raw processing software - it excels as it understands Nikons file format and picture controls.

All that said, I see no reason not to expect AP's raw capability to improve as development progresses. I am also sure that some perseverance/practice with the existing version would be rewarded with improved results.

So I'm still confused. I understand why different RAW editors produce different results because their auto adjustments are different. What I do not understand why the same image in Apple's Preview App which is a viewer looks somewhat different than AP with RAW Engine = Apple and Tone Curve = Take No Action.

So I'm still confused. I understand why different RAW editors produce different results because their auto adjustments are different. What I do not understand why the same image in Apple's Preview App which is a viewer looks somewhat different than AP with RAW Engine = Apple and Tone Curve = Take No Action.

That is because Apple preview also makes its own interpretation of the raw file. A raw file is just a heap of data which need to be interpreted and converted into a jpg file so that it can be visualized. Even the screen of the camera interprets it and what shows is its jpg version of the raw file.