You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

User Interface

I think I'm speaking for all active users and future users when I say that the user interface should have an optimization and redesign. Honestly when you compare it with Photoshop it is one of the aspects that at least visually leaves much to be desired. The current designs of the icons make this incredible tool that is intended for professional use lose some of its seriousness as a tool.

6 hours ago, Dandiboy said:

I think I'm speaking for all active users

As you did not specify a single specific proposal in your request (general speeches about optimization and redesign really can't be considered for them), so you definitely don't talk for me. And tool icons are the last thing that would bother and interest me in terms of ASuite function and control.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

I'd try to agree with Pšenda. I didn't miss anything in the GUI, as far as I remember. And the tool symbols... Do you mean that they should be grey? Would be nice as an option. I think, that I would prefer it to. But I'm not sure if really the most active users would want to have it.

44 minutes ago, Alex M said:

What stops you guys from toggling an option in User Interface preferences? It will make all icons turn to monochrome.

This must be adressed to me, as we don't really know what Dandiboy means. Well, I couldn't find this option. Possibly because it wasn't that important to me. But, on this occasion, where can I find this setting?

Edit: Ah okay, now I found it: User Interface>Monochrome Icons. Thanks for the hint!

9 hours ago, Dandiboy said:

I think I'm speaking for all active users

You don't speak for me!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

7 minutes ago, iconoclast said:

Well, I couldn't find this option. Possibly because it wasn't that important to me. But, on this occasion, where can I find this setting?

Preferences - User Interface - tick "Monochromatic Iconography"

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

I speak for those who prefer I not.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

While the Affinity apps could use some UI refinements (I feel that way about most apps which have as many capabilities as these do) I most certainly do not agree that they need a UI redesign, visually or functionally.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with change and innovation – when there are any actual advantages, but I do object to change for change's sake. In particular, I have a problem with (often) new users who want the layouts, shortcuts, the way things work generally, changed for no other reason than that is what they are used to in other apps!

I (and I would assume) a lot of other people have been using the Affinity apps for quite a while. I have invested time and effort in learning how to use them, (although I still have plenty to learn)! Although there are still a number of things that could be improved, in general I am quite happy with the UI and, (in the main,) how things "work" in the Affinity apps.

What I do not want is to have to relearn where to find things, how they work, what the shortcuts are, etc etc (basic, everyday stuff,) for no other reason than that it saves someone else from having to learn the differences between the Affinity apps and other apps that they have previously used! Often people claim that one thing is "better" than another, but this is invariably a subjective statement. Being "different" is not the same as being "better".