You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crash when export-dialog appears

Every now and then AD crashes when I want to export. See screenshot – not sure whether it is the nasty Monterey (ever since 12, now 12.4) or AD. Please see screenshot.

It happenend in many files, so I cannot send you a particular one. But I could pm crash logs, of course.

image.png.38eb79fd7599453935eb6c4086b44128.png

It might occur only when there's a PSD file linked – not sure. That's why:

I worked about 1-2hrs with the file having a JPG linked. Then replaced the JPG with a PSD and exported > crash. I repoened the AD-file and found the PSD-image to be of bad quality (pixelated – maybe a bug on its own). I then replaced it again with the very same PSD to find it high quality again. I exported and it worked. But I'm pretty sure as I continue to work in the AD-Doc this crash will come again...

Maybe I'm wrong about the PSD...

• Staff

Hi @abra100pro,

Do you happen to have any sample file that we can use to investigate further? I'm aware you mentioned it happens on many files however it's going to be difficult to replicate this on our side if the issue relates to something else within one of the files that crashed on export. It would also be beneficial if you could send us over a crash report along with a sample file.

Also are you finding the crash occurs when trying to export the file to a specific format? If you could also send a screenshot of your export settings that would be great.

Below is a private dropbox link if you wish to upload them there.

https://www.dropbox.com/request/PHZvAh9SASNULk4upjPr

48 minutes ago, NathanC said:

Hi @abra100pro,

Do you happen to have any sample file that we can use to investigate further? I'm aware you mentioned it happens on many files however it's going to be difficult to replicate this on our side if the issue relates to something else within one of the files that crashed on export. It would also be beneficial if you could send us over a crash report along with a sample file.

Also are you finding the crash occurs when trying to export the file to a specific format? If you could also send a screenshot of your export settings that would be great.

Below is a private dropbox link if you wish to upload them there.

https://www.dropbox.com/request/PHZvAh9SASNULk4upjPr

Sure, gladly. I send you the file it happened most recently. Unfortunately there are no crash reports, though, I checked the console...

The Zip is called AD Alex.zip

• Staff
On 5/20/2022 at 10:45 AM, abra100pro said:

Sure, gladly. I send you the file it happened most recently. Unfortunately there are no crash reports, though, I checked the console...

The Zip is called AD Alex.zip

Thanks for sending over the files, correct me if i'm mistaken but it appears that your resources within the document are linked to files stored in dropbox. We generally recommend saving to local storage and using linked resources stored locally over Cloud/NAS to avoid any issues such as freezes.

I have the same problem. I do not use any cloud storage but I do often take screenshots and drag them into my artboards via the MacOS Floating Screenshot Preview Thumbnail Thingy I found when you drag from that it doesn't go on your desktop but into...

/private/var/folders/95/0766v66s1wvftjbtfm8vsk8c0000gn/T/TemporaryItems/NSIRD_screencaptureui_TYzvec

And they go away on next boot

This is just a suggestion wondering if it has anything to do with files going missing

• 3 months later...

I am experiencing the same issue. I'm on macOS 12.5 and the latest version of AD.

I think every time I open AD now the app crashes when I attempt any sort of export via the Export Persona. The normal export (File » Export) seems t work fine.

I really love AD so I won't quit using it over this, but it's been happening for several months now and is truly annoying.

I am having the export (jpg or png) crash issue but on Windows. Intermittently Designer will crash when exporting an image to another format image. It will also sometimes crash when changing the export size of a jpg file. There are not warnings, or pop-ups. Sometimes it will crash Windows (11) - I get the blue screen of death. I looked for some type of log file but did not find one.

Joining the "export crash" crew. This is bothering me for a long time (MacOS Monterey 12.6, AF Designer 1.10.5). I literally learned to save my file before exporting files because there is 50/50 chance it'll crash. (Please, can we have some bugs related update finally?)

marekmati.com

[MAC OS 12.2, MacBook Pro  2017, 15-inch, 2.9 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon Pro 560, Intel HD Graphics 630, 500GB SSD + Philips Monitor 4K/60fps 10bit color via DisplayPort to USB-C cable]

Affinity Publisher 1.10.5, Affinity Designer 1.10.5, Affinity Photo 1.10.5

• Staff
On 9/27/2022 at 8:17 PM, jaybray said:

I am experiencing the same issue. I'm on macOS 12.5 and the latest version of AD.

I think every time I open AD now the app crashes when I attempt any sort of export via the Export Persona. The normal export (File » Export) seems t work fine.

I really love AD so I won't quit using it over this, but it's been happening for several months now and is truly annoying.

Apologies on the late reply as sometimes older threads can slip under the radar, We currently have an issue logged with the developers which causes a crash/freeze when exporting via the export persona if there are synced folders on the system (E.G Synced to Onedrive/Google Drive), this doesn't necessarily have to be to be exported to a synced folder, they simply have to exist on the Mac.

13 hours ago, Garret Rain said:

There are not warnings, or pop-ups. Sometimes it will crash Windows (11) - I get the blue screen of death. I looked for some type of log file but did not find one.

Welcome to the forums,

The Affinity Apps are not able to cause a Bluescreen on your PC and will not generate a crash report when this happens, this suggests a more innate/localised issue to your PC, such as a driver, OS or Hardware issue.

40 minutes ago, MarekGFX said:

Joining the "export crash" crew. This is bothering me for a long time (MacOS Monterey 12.6, AF Designer 1.10.5). I literally learned to save my file before exporting files because there is 50/50 chance it'll crash. (Please, can we have some bugs related update finally?)

Is this possibly related to the top reply, are you finding this happens from the export persona? If it's crashing on exporting via the normal File > Export menu, could you provide me with a recent crash report after you've encountered this?

On 10/3/2022 at 12:54 PM, NathanC said:

Is this possibly related to the top reply, are you finding this happens from the export persona? If it's crashing on exporting via the normal File > Export menu, could you provide me with a recent crash report after you've encountered this?

Yep, this happens in Export persona (File > Export menu works just fine :))

marekmati.com

[MAC OS 12.2, MacBook Pro  2017, 15-inch, 2.9 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon Pro 560, Intel HD Graphics 630, 500GB SSD + Philips Monitor 4K/60fps 10bit color via DisplayPort to USB-C cable]

Affinity Publisher 1.10.5, Affinity Designer 1.10.5, Affinity Photo 1.10.5

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Is there further confirmation that this is fixed in ver2? My team are holding off on getting ver2 licenses until this is fixed. It's been a major spanner in the works of our UI workflow. We export slices from persona. A freeze everytime the browser loads into the same finder folder as the afdesign file (we think that's the pattern) is major , though we know a workaround it makes our regular exporting 2 or 3 steps slower than it was if possible at all. The slow response on this bug has made us nervous about our future with Affinity. Fantastic software in most other respects, but not usable at all without being able to export our slices.

• Staff

Hello @rebuffs welcome to the forums,

This issue is still outstanding in version 2 unfortunately, however the development team are well aware of the issue and it is logged as a priority. I have tagged this thread with the issue, so when the problem is resolved this thread should be updated to reflect that, but I can't give any specific timescales/ETA on a fix, my apologies.

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

The issue "Export Persona hang in Open and Save Panel Process when Exporting Slices" (REF: AFD-5921) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.1.0.1781".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.

• 3 weeks later...

This bug is still happening for me in Photo 2 2.0.4. Every time I try to export slices it freezes at the finder dialogue box.

Edit: Turned out to be a Mac permissions issue. I had to allow Photo access to files and folders. Not a Ventura setting I am crazy about