You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Tailgating and Badging

I needed to quickly put together a web based lesson at my academic institution about the importance of making sure unauthorized individuals don't access the research facilities. I wrote a script and then used Affinity Designer on iPad to draw the illustrations.  I got a coworker to provide the voice-over and put the pieces together using LumaFusion video editor.  I created simple abstract characters so there is no racial or ethnic attachments to the unauthorized character.  I used the institution's color branding.  The illustrative skills are rather simplistic, with the focus on the message.  Affinity Designer on the iPad allowed me to generate the images quickly and get management approval. 

What could be done would be to have, about eight feet before the door, a notice on the wall that each person must scan their badge individually followed by Queue Here and a yellow line is fixed with non-slip tape across the walkway.

So if someone does not do that then he or she is instantly breaking a notified pre-existing rule.

A flippant attitude of "Oh it doesn't matter, don't be a pedant" is then not about disparaging a person saying the correct way to priceed but disparaging against the person in authority who had the notice put there.

Too often someone in the wrong but of higher rank in the organization might complain in a victimization way to the correctly-acting person's manager for some other purported subjective reason to vent his or her anger.

So is the management policy putting the onus on the innocent employee rather that acting decisively to make it clear to anyone approaching the door as to what is the policy?

Such lines across walkways are used in England for privacy in some banks and post offices. Even before Covid-19 people would queue at a line a distance from the counter while someone was transacting their business at the counter.

However, orderly queueing is very much a tradition in England, part of our culture.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

38 minutes ago, William Overington said:

Even before Covid-19 people would queue at a line a distance from the counter while someone was transacting their business at the counter.

927EE98E-5C8A-4385-960E-B9A74D4BA008.jpeg

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I suppose that a still picture could be designed with such a notice on the wall, such a yellow line across the walkway and the employee facing the follower and the employee pointing to the sign.

The picture could be presented to management as a suggestion to become implemented.

If management wants security of access, management needs to manage it.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

13 hours ago, William Overington said:

What could be done would be to have, about eight feet before the door, a notice on the wall that each person must scan their badge individually followed by Queue Here and a yellow line is fixed with non-slip tape across the walkway.

Great in theory. 'Doesn't actually work when 50+ people arrive within a few minutes of each other and all have to go through three single doors, one after the other, to get into the office! 

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

1 hour ago, PaulEC said:

Great in theory. 'Doesn't actually work when 50+ people arrive within a few minutes of each other and all have to go through three single doors, one after the other, to get into the office! 

Management must manage.

William

Many years ago, in the first year of master as a transportation engineer I had a professor that used similar quick presentations as well; I don’t remember anyone to talk about the artwork because (just as here) it was perfect. If people are talking about the subject matter and not about the presentation itself, it means the teacher has succeeded in getting his message across, I think :) 

StudioLink 256gb 11’ M1 iPad Pro

iPadOS 17 Public Beta 1

iPad Magic Keyboard

On 5/19/2022 at 9:23 PM, EducationPrinciples said:

I thought people would comment on the artwork of the project and maybe the simplistic nature of the characters.  I did not expect comments on the practice of using and standing near the work badge scanner.  

So if someone finds something in the message that he or she thinks is problematic, would you like the person to say or not say?

This is a practical issue because I have found something else and I wonder whether you would like me to say or not to say.

William

EDIT: I've removed my comment, as I don't wish to continue a conversation that has nothing to do with the original post!

I would only add that the original message seems well thought out and the way it is conveyed in the animation is excellent.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

6 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

Well, I used to design posters for the Theatre where I worked. If I had posted one of them here, in "Share your work", I would have hoped that people would comment on the design etc, not comment that rather than putting on a production of "Hamlet", they should be doing "Romeo and Juliet" instead! 😁

Well that is reasonable.

Because the suggested change from a stage representing Denmark to a stage representing Verona is not about something actually in the content presented.

Yet if the poster for the production of Hamlet had said Starring John Smith as Romeo, typeset well, would it be reasonable for someone to have pointed out that the character Romeo is not in the play Hamlet or would that be wrong if the claim on the poster was typeset in a nice font?

William

12 minutes ago, William Overington said:

would it be reasonable for someone to have pointed out that the character Romeo is not in the play Hamlet

Yes, it would, but preferably flagged as ‘off topic’.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

15 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Yes, it would, but preferably flagged as ‘off topic’.

A balanced reply.

I shall wait to see if @EducationPrinciples replies, and only say if @EducationPrinciples asks me to do so.

William