You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Still confused about Vector brushes made with raster files.

Hi,

I was considering buying some "Vector" brushes for Affinity Designer, and thought to look up some tutorials about making brushes to compare the value of purchasing a pack versus making a set of my own from scratch.

I was surprised to learn that all the tutorials seem to instruct you to make a png file as the basis for your Vector brush.

This inspired me to take a look at some of the "Vector" brushes in Affinity Designer and zoom in closely, which lead me understand that the brushes I assumed were vector are actually raster and exhibit aliased edges.

Are Affinity's smoother looking "Vector" brushes just based on incredibly high resolution png files? If so what sort of resolution are they using?

Thank you.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• Staff

Hi @Otto Manuel,

19 minutes ago, Otto Manuel said:

Are Affinity's smoother looking "Vector" brushes just based on incredibly high resolution png files? If so what sort of resolution are they using?

Yes, they are based on raster images. There's no fixed resolution value, it depends on whoever created the pack. Usually around 2000 px height is enough for high quality artwork. Increasingly higher values may slow down the app/lag while you are painting. 

1 hour ago, Otto Manuel said:

This inspired me to take a look at some of the "Vector" brushes in Affinity Designer ...

The brushes are poorly named. They should be named "Brushes for Vectors".

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Thank you to everybody.

I started making a few engraving brushes, and realized how easy it is to make a brush. I also realized that a very good way to understand the suitability of a brush in a specific circumstance is to have a familiarity with the source files.

I think I will pursue making more brushes that are designed to be contextual to the goals I have.

Thank you!

Hi,

FWIW, after trying to make some engraving styled brushes for a particular project I have been working on, I think a learned some basic concepts that I have not seen in the very limited "research" I have conducted while trying to learn about custom brushes.

1) It seems best if you begin making a custom brush with a specific display size in mind. This includes both width and length, as changing the ratio later will create distortions that may not seem desirable.

2) The width should closely match the stroke size you will most often use with the brush.

3) If you use the stretch function, and the brush has distinct shapes like many engraving brushes, the length should closely match the length you will use, or you may employ the repeat function to vary the length without too much shape distortion.

4) Once the basic size is determined, it seems like a good idea to prepare the source file at or about a 4x resolution. In other words if you for see using a brush with an 80pix stroke and a 300pix length, your source file can be sized 320 pix high by 1200 pix wide. This will ensure clean edge rendition when you view a brush that you intend to display with a clean edge.  I tried making the brush source file the same size as I wanted it to appear in the final project and the edge resolution was obviously fuzzy and soft.

That's it for now, I imagine there is lots more to learn.