You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi all

I have been professionally working in print for over two decades now so I think I know the basics. That said I recently bought designer just for curiosity (and me not liking adobe politics). My first real project is giving me a hard time. I have created a title illustration in designer that I placed in a publisher document. When prepping for print I added 2mm bleed in the designer artboard (YES I know how to show the bleed and that there actually has to be content in the bleed area). But the bleed will neither show nor export to pdf...

I googled a bit and this seems to be a bug. See here (german though). The "on/off" workaround works on a new empty project but not on my title illustration with 3 artboards.

Any solutions other than "on/off" bleed in view options?
This bug immediatly forbids using designer for pro work. What a pity...

P.S. I do not work with personas. Rather I open the files in the corresponding app.

Cheers

Even if you can't see the image in the bleed area, you can see where the edge of the image is (i.e. outside the bleed area). So I would think of this as a minor, occasional, bug:  hardly a "showstopper", or preventing using Designer for pro work!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

I'm not saying there aren't any problems, just that their importance is being a little overrated: They don't make Designer unusable! As you say, I'm sure Serif are working on fixing the bugs.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

Me too can't get it work. I placed an afdesign in APub, selected "BleedBox" in the Context Toolbar. The bounding box size shows correctly but remains empty. At least in the exported PDF the bleed of the placed .afdesign should appear – but it remains empty like in the layout views in AD and APub.

.afdesign with 30 mm bleed:

1862450265_afdesignbleed.jpg.604c6dc236f9e2169875f49eec0d0124.jpg

... placed on a larger page in .afpub with BleedBox selected:

113172760_afdesignbleedapub.jpg.4624f7d1d7ff482068d5f718e8a7e271.jpg

The PDF shows the .afdesign with an empty bleed area:

1442648060_afdesignbleedapubpdf.jpg.e7c00969d792e82be69c77f7523162e1.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

1 hour ago, Hens said:

but it does export with bleed when you use the include bleed option for pdf.

@Hens, without a hint like "workaround" your reply + afdesign opened in Apub is misleading here. It implies the user lacks in proper export setting only.

Note that the OP literally mentioned to have placed in .afpub:

1 hour ago, Rogurt said:

a title illustration in designer that I placed in a publisher document. (...)  bleed in the designer artboard

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• 1 year later...

Is this issue not fully resolved (unstable solution) as of version 2.4.0?

I ran into issues today when this caused my intended way to resolve a step-up job failed me when BleedBox didn't add nothing outside the TrimBox size. The size of the placed page did increase, but nothing was added outside the TrimBox size, despite bleed being set up.

To resolve it I tried exporting as PDF's from Designer, but the result was then that the content stretch rather than reveal what's in the bleed area when I switched from TrimBox to BleedBox.

Ended up resolving it by using Acrobat to remove an element (CutContour frame) from each page in the original file supplied by the customer, instead of opening it in Designer, removing those elements and using the designer file in Publisher.

I actually made sample files to test, that failed as well.

A pure 50mm square with 2mm bleed and a square that was 4mm larger, only being revealed when bleed was included (BleedBox).
One Designer file was using a 50mm page without an artboard, and the other one with an artboard.

Trying them again later today, it didn't behave as earlier.
Switching from TrimBox To BleedBox seems to behave as expected now.
While earlier the file with the artboard did not behave correctly at all.

Since it just behaved, I started testing a little more.

Adding a new page in the original Publisher document that didn't behave at all earlier.

This time the test square (from the Designer document with artboard), didn't behave correctly but not as earlier either.
It showed the bleed content, but not fully on the right side.

I inserted it again a second time, switched from TrimBox to BleedBox, and it looks as expected.

Then I zoomed out to do it again, and the bleed content shows in the first square too.

Rolling my "zoom wheel" it seems that some zoom levels don't show correctly while some do.

Attachments show the same test file side by side in different zoom levels.
Only the left one misbehaves. :/

Placed the file several more times and it behave our misbehaves depending on the zoom level and if there is any distance to the adjacent ones. I'm starting to think my screen card drivers might be having issues ...

Time for a reebot, to see if that resolves it.

Screenshot 2024.03.11 - 17.14.04.png

Screenshot 2024.03.11 - 17.17.21.png