You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Weird Bug Exporting To JPEG

I just upgraded to the iPad Air 2022 (very nice tablet) and encountered a strange bug when exporting to jpg and then opening the file to view. It appears to flash on and off and then disappears.

I’ve tried exporting this file on my older iPad 9th gen and the same thing happened, so looks like possibly some kind of file corruption?

No problems with any other files (so far) and obviously I’m just worried that there is something wrong with my my device so I thought I’d ask here - if anyone knows why this happened?

A1 board cut sizes.afdesign

Just tried recreating this bug and it seems to only happen with files that have large(ish) dimensions and/or lots of vector brush strokes?

Whatever is causing this = not good anyway

p.s I am aware I got the dimensions on the 14” x 11” rectangles wrong and put them in cm or something..

There is a setting when I was setting up my iPad that you can compress image files into smaller versions for your iPad but on the cloud the full version is stored - maybe something to do with this?

Can you open the exported JPG file directly using Designer? 

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• Staff
1 hour ago, awakenedbyowls said:

Yes. It does that if you open the files from the AD folder the app creates. Anyone tried exporting from this file and does it display this same bug?

Can confirm i'm getting the same issue.

Its defiantly size related, if i resize it on the export window to 1080x763 it doesn't happen.  I'm going to poke it some more and check with the QA-Team as i can't find this already logged with the Dev team.

Just now, stokerg said:

Can confirm i'm getting the same issue.

Its defiantly size related, if i resize it on the export window to 1080x763 it doesn't happen.  I'm going to poke it some more and check with the QA-Team as i can't find this already logged with the Dev team.

Hi Stokerg. I just did a search on the Apple forums and have found the cause of the issue. It’s a conflict with the Live Text feature under Settings > General > Language & Region. Turn that off and problem solved. Not sure what exactly Live Text does - something to do with reading text on images for copying or something - not a feature I’ll probably be using.

• Staff
5 minutes ago, awakenedbyowls said:

Hi Stokerg. I just did a search on the Apple forums and have found the cause of the issue. It’s a conflict with the Live Text feature under Settings > General > Language & Region. Turn that off and problem solved. Not sure what exactly Live Text does - something to do with reading text on images for copying or something - not a feature I’ll probably be using.

Great! Yup that does fix the issue and i think i'll be leaving that option off as well!

6 minutes ago, stokerg said:

Great! Yup that does fix the issue and i think i'll be leaving that option off as well!

I’m still trying to figure out exactly what it’s for - if you have any idea then let me know. It’s not entirely clear to me. 

I’ve probably never noticed this before because the type of document I was making up is something I tend to do on my PC because it’s easier with the mouse and keyboard.

• Staff
14 minutes ago, awakenedbyowls said:

I’m still trying to figure out exactly what it’s for - if you have any idea then let me know. It’s not entirely clear to me. 

So this is what i've found: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT212630 it appears you can take a picture of say a menu or a sign, anything with text and then select the text from the photo.  Kinda of like OCR that you can do with scanners from what i can tell.  I never use my iPad for taking photos, so not something i'll be using.  I also think the newer iPhones can do this as well.