You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Batch process open tabs and batch export

I get the "open tabs" (that would also be useful for things like panoramas) but I'm not too clear on the "batch export" as opposed to saving to a folder.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

At the top right of the Batch dialogue box there is an option to save to the original folder, or to select another folder to save the processed files.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

4 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

At the top right of the Batch dialogue box there is an option to save to the original folder, or to select another folder to save the processed files.

My guess: We are talking about already active / open tabs in AP. I would find it useful too to do a batch processing on already active / open files.

----------
Windows 10 / 11, Complete Suite Retail and Beta

I wondered if I'd got it right! I assumed we were talking about batch processing. It would certainly be handy to be able to use open tabs (as well as loading from a folder). I'm not sure about the saving of all open tabs automatically, I'd rather be able to check them before (possibly) overwriting existing files, but it is not a bad idea as an option. 

PaulEC,

I'm sure im not an edge case, but here's my workflow anyway.  I 'finish' my jpegs in PS at the moment, with an action I add a LUT, tweak levels and do some minor HSL adjustments.  In PS im able to apply my action to all open tabs, go through and do any masking that is needed and then export all the open tabs.  I have between 400-600 images that I need to do that in one sitting so until Affinity release an update im stuck with clunky, buggy PS.

Well, it sounds like it would be handy to have these options.

As I said, personally I would particularly like to be able to add all open tabs to a batch (or panorama etc) job, rather than having to add them from a folder. I can see that if you're working on so many files at once (I never do!) it would make a big difference to your work flow,

I have been testing out Affinity Photo last few days. Have used photoshop for close to 20 years. I'm really impressed and would love to use Affinity Photo. The only thing that is tying to PS is the lack of features of Affinity's batch processing. I work with multiple images and once complete I need to export the image, then resize the image smaller, then export this image - this is repeated for a total of 6 resizes and exports. Unfortunately Affinity's 'macros' do not allow the export function. As soon as this feature is available I'd jump ship immediately.

2 hours ago, fraser1234 said:

once complete I need to export the image, then resize the image smaller, then export this image - this is repeated for a total of 6 resizes and exports. Unfortunately Affinity's 'macros' do not allow the export function. As soon as this feature is available I'd jump ship immediately.

For that function you might consider the Export Persona, which allows you to export one image in multiple sizes and formats in one operation.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 5/22/2022 at 12:28 PM, walt.farrell said:

For that function you might consider the Export Persona, which allows you to export one image in multiple sizes and formats in one operation.

Thanks heaps for the tip that's great Walt! The only issue now I have is there's seems to be no concise way to combine overlapping curves/paths. Coming from Photoshop this was a simple 1-click function. It seems a multi-step approach with Affinity Photo. Its a shame because the application seems so close to converting me, and would save me several hundreds of dollars a year - it's just not quite there yet. I'd happily pay an extra $300 to be able to combine overlapping curves with one click (with no convoluted curve-editing).

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

As far as I can tell, no, it's not available in V2.

But let this be my vote in favor of adding it. I frequently work on anywhere from 8-30 images at once, and each one needs relatively specific manual customizations, but then they all just need to saved out to a single folder.

I know this isn't necessarily the most straightforward feature to implement because some people want to output files at the current resolution, others want to output all of their images at a set scale (e.g. 50% of current dimensions), and some want to set a specific dimension and let the other be flexible (e.g. lock the width at 1500px and adjust height to match). But outside of these settings, most options shouldn't be too hard to manage.

Or with all of that said, this would be another good example for ways scripting support would allow us to around current limitations of the interface.

• 5 months later...
4 hours ago, Sempervivum said:

Several months have passed and V2.1.0 is out now. Is there any approach to implement the feature

It is not in 2.1.

Soon we may start seeing what changes will be planned for 2.2.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Just tried and was met with the error 'cannot record export item'.  Well that sucks.  

I've now got to manually open all 30 tabs one by one, and in each press 'export - choose format click ok - then click ok on the file save dialogue'! 

This software is just a never ending display of lack of insight on the part of the developers, and is the reason why I hate it and will never consider upgrading from V1.