Hello,

I just download the free trial for Affinity Designer. I work with a lot of stock artwork, and most of the files are EPS. When I open any EPS in AD, the images are horribly pixelated. Is there a work-around? I'm so tired of Creative Cloud and the total inability to get tech support. Really hoping I can find an alternative!

Cheri

:D

post-23948-0-03541100-1450421839_thumb.png

Hi Cheri,

Is there any way you could share the file with us? Without seeing the file it's really hard to give advice because we don't know what's actually inside the file - it could be that what you're seeing is the whole thing and we won't know unless we can see the file for ourselves. You can send it to support@seriflabs.com if you'd prefer to keep the file private and we'll delete it after giving you advice. It's entirely possible that the stock artwork is saved as a very low quality 'Illustrator EPS' which means it will have a terrible quality EPS file (low resolution image like you're seeing) but the 'Illustrator' part of that means that it also contains a full Illustrator file embedded inside it. We can't read the embedded Illustrator document inside an EPS file and if this is the case then there is no easy workaround, I'm afraid to say :(  People create 'Illustrator EPS' files thinking "It's an EPS file so is openable in all software" which it is - but it's actually an Illustrator file placed inside a not-necessarily-very-good-quality EPS file. If you open it in Illustrator you get the impression the whole thing was there and it all worked brilliantly, but it's actually a bit of a lie... :(

Thanks,

Matt

Sorry to re-open this but I also have the very same problem. Trying to use some stock files and the first two eps files are terrible, with really jaggy images :(

I have tried speaking to them and they just say to use adobe illustrator, which i thought I'd just got away from after many years! I'm afraid this sort of thing tends to be a deal breaker, as i LOVE infinity designer but now it seems I need to have illustrator also.

Is there a possibility of this being fixed?

3 hours ago, LeeColarelli said:

Sorry to re-open this but I also have the very same problem. Trying to use some stock files and the first two eps files are terrible, with really jaggy images :(

I have tried speaking to them and they just say to use adobe illustrator, which i thought I'd just got away from after many years! I'm afraid this sort of thing tends to be a deal breaker, as i LOVE infinity designer but now it seems I need to have illustrator also.

Is there a possibility of this being fixed?

Jaggy Images!! are you opening the jpg that normally comes with an eps file to show a preview of the EPS file?

iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo, Publisher Beta 1.7.0.140, Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9 B|  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials Instagram & Flickr - Affinity Live 19th June 2019

This is a screenshot of an eps file I have just downloaded from Freepik It is zoomed to 1000%

5a9edcbe77581_ScreenShot2.thumb.png.fdad0f85e38aceda5ed00f193df0ccef.png

98994-OLGXJI-850.eps

iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo, Publisher Beta 1.7.0.140, Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9 B|  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials Instagram & Flickr - Affinity Live 19th June 2019

57 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Jaggy Images!! are you opening the jpg that normally comes with an eps file to show a preview of the EPS file?

Sorry but I find your reply slightly condescending. I have been doing graphic design for nearly 20 years.

Your freepik file has no jaggies because it is pure vector paths. It would never have any jaggies. 

However, some eps files have small images as part of the structure, and Affinity Designer does not do a good job with these. Today I have worked with three stock files from shutterstock, and all of them have extreme jaggies when opened with Affinity Designer but no jaggies when opened with Adobe Illustrator. 

Maybe you you should try yourself before attempting to educate someone else?

Knock yourself out and take it anyway you wish my friend, I made the suggestion because people have made this mistake when they have had no file extension showing. Not knowing what type of EPS nor its contents had me at a slight disadvantage and I thought it best to get the simple things out of the way first.

I had the same pixelated issue with a .eps file I downloaded from Shutterstock.

I had a colleague open it in his Adobe Illustrator app and he converted it to the standard .ai file format. It was no longer pixelated but it turned out the vector file wasn't completely 'vector'. A tonne of shapes was not converted to paths or in Designer lingo, curves. I also found grouped and masked elements. 

Hi sirpsychosexy,

EPS files created in Adobe Illustrator (sold on stock sites) have an embedded Ai file which is what Illustrator loads when it opens the file (thus keeping everything editable). Affinity apps are only able to access the EPS data itself (the AI data is proprietary/closed) and as such we are limited to load what the EPS data provides/support. For Ai files, Affinity can only import them if they include the PDF stream (the Create Compatible PDF File option when saving the Ai file in Illustrator) for the same reasons (we cannot access the proprietary Ai data).

Is there any advice on how to solve this for those of us who aren't experienced designers? I've just downloaded a vector eps 10 file from iStockphoto and have got the same issue - lines which were smooth are now jagged. So an image of the sun now looks jagged, for example. I'd tried opening it in Designer, Photo and Publisher before finding this thread. I have downloaded it as a jpeg for now, but now have to try and remove some unwanted text from it when that would have been really simple working on the vector file. I've attached what I'm dealing with: the first attachment is the jpeg downloaded from iStockphoto and the second is what I see in any of my Affinity programs.

If anyone can give me advice on this I'd be really grateful.

iStock-1051278648.jpg

iStock-1051278648.jpg

52 minutes ago, AugustaMB said:

If anyone can give me advice on this I'd be really grateful.

From what @MEB said 8 months ago, in the post directly above yours, I think the answer is that those eps files are incompatible with the Affinity products as the files were not saved with the compatibility option enabled.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.145), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.1.404 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.1.404 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.1.399 Beta

2 minutes ago, AugustaMB said:

... - wish I'd known that before buying the file. This is the first thing I've found where the Affinity products don't work as well - and understand entirely it's down to the Ai software being proprietary.

Try opening the file in the free InkScape. It may open it properly and if so, export as an SVG (same applies if you have Illustrator).

Issues are usually related to EPS files cannot have transparency or transparency effects (like drop shadows, etc.) or meshes (both coloring and warping). As mentioned, an embedded AI file obviates the EPS file format limitations if an EPS also contains the AI portion. Remove the AI embedded portion of the file and AI will open such an EPS pretty much exactly like AD does.

Mike

My computer is a nothing-special Toshiba laptop with unremarkable specs running Windows 10 64-bit.