You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is Affinity Photo too advanced for an intermediate photoshop elements user

• Staff

Hi Donald,

I'd advise you to take a look at the Tutorials available from our site to get a feel for what's possible in Affinity Photo and how you'd go about things... Hopefully things will make sense and you could imagine using it :) Don't forget that this forum is full of very helpful souls who are popping in and out at all times of the day and usually someone would be more than happy to lend a hand if you can describe what you're trying to achieve :)

Best of all, you could just download the Trial version and see for yourself if you like it enough to give it a whirl :)

Thanks,

Matt

Former Elements user here.

I think the programme is excellent.

Some things are a little different (ie. managing the layers) and for instance the inpainting brush is fantastic.

If you managed to learn Elements, you will manage Affinity too.

I was on the brink to "buy" Photoshop when I stumbled over Affinity. I bought both programmes and I'm quite busy trying to understand Designer.

Vector work is new to me. ;) But learning new things is good for preventing dementia I'm told. ;)

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

If you used such features as layers, selection tools, brushes and masks in Elements, the transition to Affinity will be fairly easy. If all you used were the guided/automatic features in Elements the learning curve will be steeper, but no steeper than if you decided to use those features for the first time in Elements.

I have also used Photoshop Elements. Affinity Photo may seem a bit more complicated at first, but Photo is worth trying. The features in it I would say are more flexible. One thing is that in Affinity Photo many of the adjustments are non-destructive and a history is kept so you change things back if you need to. If you take some time anything you have learned with Photoshop Elements will help you. Try the program and see what you can do.

David Voth

Affinity Photo, Designer and Publisher ver. 2: macOS Sonoma and iPadOS 17