You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Woodcut style yacht

The picture in the previous post is a quarter size of the A5 canvas.

The hull of the yacht is a trapezium at the default 25% at each slop, then rotated 180 degrees.

So much of the hull is hidden behind the layer used to represent the sea.

In this picture I have reduced the height of the representatin of the hull by approximately 50% so that only the hull above the water line is drawn.

So I changed the slope angles to 12% so as to keep the design of the hull much the same.

So I could now make the filled rectangle that represents the sea to become of greater height.

I then had to move the filled rectangle that represents the sea behind the hull rather than in front of it as before.

Interestingly, when I changed the height of the hull I did it with the anchoring of the trapezium at the upper centre anchor,so as to keep the hull in place with respect to the sails, yet when I changed the height of the filled rectangle that represents the sea, I did it with the anchoring at the lower centre anchor so as to keep the lower edge in the same place.

yacht2.png.cf515e1dc8bce3f888d9a4d672233263.png

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

I have now made a copy of the A5 original of the picture in the previous post and rescaled the copy to A4. It has a white surround, greater below than above, so that a print would have a white border in an A4 frame, proving that the print is onto white paper.

I have now adapted a copy of that A4 document to produce another picture, within the constraint of only using four colours as if I were producing a woodblock print.

Here is a png file, one fifth of full size in each of horizontal and vertical directions.

flowers4.png.f9dc3e9423a9b6b77b7c8833d322b89d.png

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

3 hours ago, William Overington said:

The picture in the previous post is a quarter size of the A5 canvas.

In other words, A7.

48 minutes ago, William Overington said:

a print would have a white border in an A4 frame, proving that the print is onto white paper

Why do you need to prove that the print is on(to) white paper?

49 minutes ago, William Overington said:

Here is a png file, one fifth of full size in each of horizontal and vertical directions.

How did you determine what constitutes “full size”?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

3 hours ago, Alfred said:

In other words, A7.

Why do you need to prove that the print is on(to) white paper?

How did you determine what constitutes “full size”?

I have checked the size of the first picture by loading into Paint and it is 37 mm by 52.5 mm, and from Affinity Publisher A9 is 37 mm by 52 mm.

So it is a quarter size both horizontally and vertically.

I don't need to prove it.

Do you remember from where the monsters came in the film Forbidden Planet?

Well the same text characters used to name that place are what is missing from that word. Thus changing the meaning of the sentence.

Freudian slip, poor typing, computer issue, who knows. Yet certainly a lack of proofreading!

The full size of the third picture is A4 as that is the canvas size in the Affinity Designer .afdesign file.

William

47 minutes ago, William Overington said:

I have checked the size of the first picture by loading into Paint and it is 37 mm by 52.5 mm, and from Affinity Publisher A9 is 37 mm by 52 mm.

You didn’t need Microsoft Paint to tell you the size in millimetres, and you didn’t need Affinity Publisher to tell you what size A9 is. The first picture is 437 px by 620 px, which is 37 mm by 52.5 mm at 300 dpi; A5 is 148 mm by 210 mm, so A7 is 74 mm by 105 mm and A9 is 37 mm by 52 mm. I was initially puzzled by your assertion that A9 is “a quarter size”, but I now see that you were referring to dimensions rather than area.

47 minutes ago, William Overington said:

The full size of the third picture is A4 as that is the canvas size in the Affinity Designer .afdesign file.

The third picture is 496 px by 702 px. Five times each of those dimensions yields a size of 2480 px by 3510 px, which is 210 mm by 297 mm at 300 dpi.

Alfred spacer.png

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

The third picture is 496 px by 702 px. Five times each of those dimensions yields a size of 2480 px by 3510 px, which is 210 mm by 297 mm at 300 dpi.

Which is A4, at 300 dots per inch.

Did you manage to solve the science fiction movie puzzle or have you stormed off in a tempest? 😀

William

5 minutes ago, William Overington said:

Did you manage to solve the science fiction movie puzzle or have you stormed off in a tempest? 😀

“What puzzle do you mean, William?” he asked, tempestuously.

Alfred spacer.png

2 hours ago, Alfred said:

“What puzzle do you mean, William?” he asked, tempestuously.

Well, I had put 'proving' but I had meant to put 'providing'.

So I had omitted the letters 'id'.

In the film, ,mention is made of "Monsters from the id".

The ancient race had destroyed itself because their great machine had amplified primeval violent thoughts from their subconciences.

I think it was that when the man on the planet was there alone with his daughter, he was happy, but his feelings about the visitors were amplified into the monster that was attacking them. Something like that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbidden_Planet

Based on Shakespeare's play The Tempest.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tempest

William