You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Woodblock print effect or poster effect or comic book effect

I like woodblock prints where, say, four solid colours of ink are used with four wood blocks to produce a picture.

I am hoping to have a go using the Pen Tool to produce such an effect using an Affinity product, starting from either a blank canvas or a photograph, later making a copy of the document file and then deleting the photograph from the copy.

Can one process a photograph to produce the effect automatically in any of the Affinity products please?

I seem to remember such an effect in possibly DrawPlus. It might have been called poster or it might have been called comic book or maybe something else. One could select how many colours to use and the colours were chosen automatically.

I remember trying it on an image gathered from Google street view of a building in Châlons-en-Champagne, France.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

2 hours ago, William Overington said:

It might have been called poster

Close! Try ‘Posterize’ (or ‘Posterise’, in the Affinity apps using UK English) in the Adjustments panel.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

31 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Close! Try ‘Posterize’ (or ‘Posterise’, in the Affinity apps using UK English) in the Adjustments panel.

...and then apply a Median blur 👍

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

2 hours ago, firstdefence said:

...and then apply a Median blur 👍

@firstdefence

I have done a posterise 4.

How do I do the Median blur please?

I tried to look it up but I found about a blur brush but I have not found anything to apply a Median blur (whatever that is) to a whole picture.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

9 minutes ago, William Overington said:

but I have not found anything to apply a Median blur (whatever that is) to a whole picture

It's in the Filters menu in Photo, or in the Live Filter menu from the bottom of the Layers panel.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1