You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Ability to view flipped horizontally and vertically

As an artist who draws things, I often want to view my drawings flipped horizontally to see if I made any mistakes in my drawings.

Affinity Photo can flip the layers but it's kinda cumbersome because

1. I have to select every layer to flip my drawing
  2. I have to undo it after the flip
  3. If a layer is bigger than the canvas, it would move out of its position since it's flipped centered to the layer

It would be nice if we could flip the view only kinda like how you can rotate the entire canvas with out actually rotating the layer.

26 minutes ago, imprity said:

Affinity Photo can flip the layers but it's kinda cumbersome because

You can also flip the complete document. Document > Flip Horizontal, for example.

But yes, it's a physical change to the document, not just adjusting your view of the document.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

You can also flip the complete document. Document > Flip Horizontal, for example.

But yes, it's a physical change to the document, not just adjusting your view of the document.

Thanks man! Didn't know I could do that!

You're welcome.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

@PatrickZ and @imprity I totally second your request.
And I want to add that it's kind of ABSURD that this feature is still missing.
It's very basic stuff that most artists use constantly and that all graphic software obviously implement.

My tricks so far have been either to the artboards, or: I open OBS on another screen and flip the screen capture, in order to see my work flipped at a single glance.
But the fact that we can find workarounds don't make ok that this feature is missing.

P.S.: @walt.farrell I can't find document > flip

@AlessioFB Haha, that workaround is kind of genious and funny at the samme time. :D

And, yes it's weird that Affinity Photo seems to be the only program of it's catgory that doesn't have a mirror canvas feature, that is so crucial for painters, illustrators and all other artists dealing with image compostion.

P.S. Does anybody know if there is a way to tag this threat as a feeadback for Affinity Photo V2?

On 11/13/2022 at 4:29 PM, AlessioFB said:

And I want to add that it's kind of ABSURD that this feature is still missing.
It's very basic stuff that most artists use constantly and that all graphic software obviously implement.

Photoshop didn't have this for decades until 20.0 for Photoshop CC, which was only 4 years ago. I agree that it should be a feature, however. It's convenient.

14 hours ago, PatrickZ said:

P.S. Does anybody know if there is a way to tag this threat as a feeadback for Affinity Photo V2?

I don't think Serif would appreciate a "threat". Don't want to get into trouble. 😜

On 11/13/2022 at 4:29 PM, AlessioFB said:

I open OBS on another screen and flip the screen capture, in order to see my work flipped at a single glance.

I tried this method.

It allows the user see the flipped version of their work.
But, obviously, it would be kind of a brainer to try to edit your work while looking at the flipped screen, as your gestures aren't mirrored. :D
I'll try this a bit more and stick with my V1 for now.

Thanks for the trick.