You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher (macOS), Smart master pages

I have created two master pages with identical layers (names). The layers are in the same order, everything is identical. On page 1 I added the content, text and photos.
In the Page Layers palette I have then a layer group with the name of the master page 1. Everything is fine so far.
When I drag Master Page 2 onto my page, I get the following message:

To preserve frame content one or more objects were detached from the old master and placed on the document layer. In the Page Layers palette, two of the layers are now above the layer group that has the name of the second master page.

Why are layers being moved, what do I do wrong?

Without screenshots that show the Layers panel for each Master, and the Layers for the document page before & after, we can only guess.

Even better, if you can, please share a sample .afpub file just before you try to switch Masters.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Here are screenshots: Master Page / Pages, layers of the master pages, and the layers of the content page:

The first layout, everything looks fine to me:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The second layout, you see the two shifted layers in the page's layers palette over the master Outside-1.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks. Doesn't help figure it out, at least from what I can see.

Can you provide the sample document? Just the two Masters and that 1 document page would be enough. You could make a copy of the current file and then in the copy delete everything after page 1.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Thanks.

I can see that you have Unlinked some attributes of the layers that the migration moved onto the document page, rather than remaining in the Master Page layer. However, you have Unlinked the same attributes on other layers that were handled successfully and left in the Master Page layer.

So I am really not sure what's going on. One of the Moderators will be able to provide a private upload link to get the file to them, once they see this, and perhaps they'll be able to figure it out.

Alternatively, you could replace the images with sample images, too, and see if it still happens. If so, you could make the file available here directly, and other users might be able to help.

-- Walt
PC:

An indicator for this issue / the confusing setting: In your second layout with master "Outside-1" we still see the 8 white circles which are items of "Outside-2" only.

For just testing you don't necessarily need to name the Picture Frames on the master pages. (though it may be required to ensure specific images to certain layout positions).

FWIW, this thread shows aspects of "smart masters", too:

Edited by thomaso
(link added)

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• Staff

Hi @tersmuse,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble!

With one Master Page already applied, how are you applying the second please?

It certainly would be useful to see a copy of this document to better understand the issue - can you please upload this to the below link for me?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/GuPbdZvxmii9ObmQoaeB

Once uploaded, please reply here to let me know :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)