You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer: Can I learn to make a Vignette layer the way I do in Photoshop?

Hi,

A while ago I asked about and learned a way to make a Vignette style which I could save and use in Designer. It has been helpful, but when I compare the results that I get using a method in Photoshop the appearance of the style that I use in Designer seems a bit "dull'. The method I am using in Designer simply multiplies a masked layer of black over everything and darkens both the darks and the lights underneath.

In Photoshop I apply a Levels Adjustment Layer to the top of my layer stack. I compress the blacks and sometimes darken the mid point without dulling the brights. Then I apply a mask layer with a soft edge oval so that the dramatized blacks and shadows are displayed at the edges. This gives the look of a Vignette by emphasizing the intensity of the dark tones without introducing the sensation of dulling the brights.

I tried to replicate the idea in Designer, but always seem to get confused when working with masks in this app, so I have not been able to stumble may way to success. I wonder if I can archive what I hope for in Designer.

I would like to keep the entire project in the Affinity Designer workflow.

Is it possible to replicate the simple Photoshop method I have described? Can you help me understand how?

Thank you.

These images are crops of the lower left corner of a large illustration. The Vignette effect may not seem obvious when just looking at the corner. The effect was appreciable when viewing the whole. The overall effect of the Designer vs Photoshop method is close when viewing the entire picture, but I prefer the more intense detailing of the Photoshop results.

VIGNETTE_ORIGINAL.jpg

VIGNETTE_DESIGNER.jpg

VIGNETTE_PHOTOSHOP.jpg

I think I figured it out, but it took a lot of tries and I don't really understand why it worked this time because once again I stumbled into the result.

Here is what i think worked:

1) Make sure no layers are selected, add a Levels Adjustment layer at the top of the stack, and make some adjustments.

2) Add a Mask to the Levels Adjustment layer.

3) Right Click on the mask layer and select Edit Mask.

4) Switch to Pixel Mode and create an oval shape that is filled with black.

5) Right Click on the mask layer and select Refine Mask. Use the Feather control to soften the edge of the oval shape.

I think one of my problems is that I spent a lot of time trying to make a vector OVAL an adding a FX guassian blur.

Any insights you can share will be appreciated.

Thank you.

I was having trouble replicating with success using the steps mentioned above. It seems like making sure there are no layers selected before adding the adjustment layer is important.

I must be in need of help to fully understand why I am missing where to do what when. :-)

Thank you!

Make sure the adjustment layers opacity is at 100%, I have, on occasion, inadvertently reduced the opacity of layers via keystrokes and not noticed until later. The keystroke to change layer opacity on Mac is Control + {number}

As for not having layers selected, all that will do is place the adjustment layer at the top of the layer stack, not above whichever layer is selected, there is however an icon that will place the adjustment layer at the top of the layer stack even when you have a layer selected see arrowed icon in the picture below.

image.png.5a1b1935a867786b42eebacff7a4ed0c.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

5 hours ago, firstdefence said:

The keystroke to change layer opacity on Mac is Control + {number}

Hmmm. In AD when I tap CTRL plus a number key on my Mac when no layer is selected, the History panel shows "Set global opacity" but that doesn't seem to do anything. When I tap any number key with a layer selected, with or without CTRL it sets the opacity of that layer.

Do you see something different from that?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Yes Get the same, you have to have the layer selected to affect it's opacity with Control + {number} deselected it registers as set opacity in the history panel but doesn't appear to affect anything, I suppose the question must be "Set the global opacity to what"? Also if you have the FX panel open using Control + {number} registers as "set effects opacity" but appears to do nothing.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

7 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Yes Get the same, you have to have the layer selected to affect it's opacity with Control + {number} deselected it registers as set opacity in the history panel but doesn't appear to affect anything, I suppose the question must be "Set the global opacity to what"? Also if you have the FX panel open using Control + {number} registers as "set effects opacity" but appears to do nothing.

So my take on this is CTRL plus a number key doesn't actually do anything to change the opacity of anything that can't be done just by using the number keys alone, without also using CTRL.

Do you agree?

EDIT: For me, if the FX panel is open CTRL + a number just generates a system beep. It does not add anything to the History panel. Are you sure that works for you?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

18 minutes ago, R C-R said:

It does not add anything to the History panel. Are you sure that works for you?

I was wrong, having a dopey day it doesn't do anything with the fx panel open, not even a beep.

14 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

... it doesn't do anything with the fx panel open, not even a beep.

Odd that it beeps for me but not for you.

Affinity Photo 

The problem I was having is that when I added an adjustment layer while a layer was selected the adjustment nested into that layer and I would not get the result I hoped for, so then I thought it might be a good idea to create a new empty layer and place the adjustment in their, and that did not work either.

Finally, I figured out that when no layers were selected the adjustment would be placed as a top level adjustment that was not nested etc., and then I could add the mask layer to nest in the adjustment, and produce the result I desired.

I find the way Designer places layers and nesting to seem less than intuitive, which has been caused by forming a couple decades of familiarity with other layering conventions. In any event, I think I finally figured out how to do what I wanted. I hope the info proves helpful to someone else.

Thank you.

9 minutes ago, Otto Manuel said:

Finally, I figured out that when no layers were selected the adjustment would be placed as a top level adjustment that was not nested etc....

If you open the AD Assistant Manager you get a choice for adding the adjustment layer as a child or as a new layer.

253854057_AssistantManager.jpg.a7e4c5e02fc18ff54779a539bb645110.jpg

Affinity Photo 

Hi, Thanks, that is good to learn.

I guess for me, more often than not, adding the adjustments as a child layer, usually at the top of a group, is my use case, so the assistant has been helping me do that ok. 

The particular question/solution I asked about in this thread was a new twist on my work habits.

Thank you!