You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have recently been having issues with all three pieces of Affinity software on Windows where they will not open hardly anything. It's saying that PDFs aren't supported in Publisher, JPGs aren't supported in Photo and Designed, PNGs aren't supported, TIFFs aren't supported, etc.

What could be causing this issue? I haven't changed anything really. I can't even open files that I opened just over a month ago. They're not in a new location on my PC either. Same spot, same file, new issue. Can't open most of my new ones either. The issue is happening with all files, whether stored in my OneDrive or stored in my Downloads folder.

25 minutes ago, Elarionus said:

The issue is happening with all files, whether stored in my OneDrive or stored in my Downloads folder.

Try putting them in a folder that OneDrive is not monitoring and managing.

25 minutes ago, Elarionus said:

What could be causing this issue?

Probably OneDrive is migrating the data off of your system and into the cloud to save space, and only retrieving it to your system when it thinks it is necessary to do so. Unfortunately, that is apparently not compatible with all applications, and Affinity is one of them.

You can try changing your OneDrive options to ensure all those files are actually kept on your system ("Keep Available", or something like that?).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 5/13/2022 at 12:30 PM, walt.farrell said:

Try putting them in a folder that OneDrive is not monitoring and managing.

Probably OneDrive is migrating the data off of your system and into the cloud to save space, and only retrieving it to your system when it thinks it is necessary to do so. Unfortunately, that is apparently not compatible with all applications, and Affinity is one of them.

You can try changing your OneDrive options to ensure all those files are actually kept on your system ("Keep Available", or something like that?).

That's why I very much specified the downloads folder, which is local, and cannot be managed by OneDrive.

They are all available offline already. That setting is enabled. This is not a OneDrive issue.

On 5/13/2022 at 1:52 PM, LondonSquirrel said:

I very rarely use OneDrive but I start it up once in a while.

A screen shot to help you... You want to ensure this is not turned on  - exactly as it is here.

image.png.ab650f7f16708f47e7c62872c5a59da4.png

Already enabled. This is not a OneDrive issue, as it happens in areas not affected by OneDrive.

On 5/13/2022 at 9:02 PM, Elarionus said:

It's saying that PDFs aren't supported in Publisher, JPGs aren't supported in Photo and Designed, PNGs aren't supported, TIFFs aren't supported, etc.

Can you provide a screenshot of this message?

How do you open files? Menu File, Open? Or double-click in the file manager?

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

I thought I'd share this here in case my problem backs up Elarionus' problem. If it seems like it's something else, I'll post my question again separately.

I'm not sure if this is the same issue (I've just been looking for an answer to my problem). When I try to open a png or jpg in affinity, my folders appear to be empty (unless they are affinity publisher files or have already been opened and saved in Designer or Photo). If I know the name of the file I am looking for, I can type it in, and the file will open. Otherwise, I have to open my files in Designer and copy and paste them into my project in Publisher. 

Interestingly, the jpg and png files in my downloads folder do appear, but that's the only folder that works. I do use OneDrive, but I also have files that are local to my computer. The only local files that show up are the files in my downloads folder.

I'm not sure how long this has been happening. I've had Publisher a lot less time than Photo and Designer. I can't remember if it's always been like this or not.

1 hour ago, momsthewordus said:

I'm not sure how long this has been happening. I've had Publisher a lot less time than Photo and Designer. I can't remember if it's always been like this or not.

Publisher is not setup to Open image files. It is intended for working on documents, and restricts the Open dialog to non-image formats. You can override that on Windows in the File Explorer dialog, but not on Mac. 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1