You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi everyone, very new to the program. Trying to move permanently from Adobe. Finding a few things not as user friendly here, but could be a learning curve. So when adjusting the line spacing, I just want it to work exactly as typed. So the example I show, is when showing line spacing for 10, 11, or 12, not change occurs. But when going to 13, it goes way off key. Any ideas?

image.png.b36a2c2b0cdf847f5f4c14ac52d52e7c.pngimage.png.7c32412fe7c6acc7907cc4fc9772f7df.png

37 minutes ago, RidgeCannon said:

So when adjusting the line spacing...

You are changing the Leading Override in the Character panel. Set that to Auto & in the Paragraph panel, set the Leading in the Spacing section to whatever you want.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hi @RidgeCannon,
Welcome to the Affinity Forums!

Sounds like a baseline grid is working, could be set document wide or with a paragraph style.

By the way: one difference to your predecessor app is the interface for paragraph leading: in Affinity it gets set in the Paragraph panel, were it's placed together with space before / after and indents. What you have set in the Character panel is the Leading Override. It is meant to get applied like a character style, selectively rather than to entire paragraphs. As ist says it "overrides" the paragraph setting and thus may cause unexpected result if used as general leading interface.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

18 hours ago, R C-R said:

You are changing the Leading Override in the Character panel. Set that to Auto & in the Paragraph panel, set the Leading in the Spacing section to whatever you want.

Awesome, thanks for the help. That's exactly what I was doing. 

• 3 months later...

I'm having the same problem set leading in Character to auto and under paragraph changed spacing but nothing happens.

The only time line spacing changes if I set leading to zero where all the lines are on top of each other but if you changed to any other number the line spacing is exactly the same regardless of the pt you select.

23 minutes ago, werdna12 said:

The only time line spacing changes if I set leading to zero where all the lines are on top of each other but if you changed to any other number the line spacing is exactly the same regardless of the pt you select.

How much of the text (how many of its paragraphs of it) do you have selected?

Also, please note that in the Spacing section of the paragraph panel there are seven different spacing-related settings, so make sure they are all set to what you want or expect.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

17 hours ago, R C-R said:

How much of the text (how many of its paragraphs of it) do you have selected?

Also, please note that in the Spacing section of the paragraph panel there are seven different spacing-related settings, so make sure they are all set to what you want or expect.

I have 3 paragraphs. in the paragraph panel all are set to zero apart from leading which is 5pt but increasing or decreasing makes no difference. On the use space before I have tried adjusting this to both always and only between paragraphs but doesn't do anything.

I have tried copying that layer to a new document and it works as expected, so looks like I may have to move all my layers to a new document to resolve.

25 minutes ago, GarryP said:

If the text starts to ‘work’ when copied to a different document, have you checked to see if the Baseline Grid is switched ON in your original document. The Baseline Grid overrides line spacing, most of the time.

Thanks Garry I think this may have resolved my issue.

1 hour ago, werdna12 said:

I think this may have resolved my issue.

By the way, this solution was mentioned already in the 3rd post of this thread before you added your problem as the 6th post. Also, it was linked in the 2nd reply to your post. 😉

You’re welcome werdna12.

When something looks wrong with line spacing, some of the first things to check are:

• Document Baseline Grid (menu “View -> Baseline Grid Manager”) – is it what you want/expect?
  • The Ignore Baseline Grid setting of the Text Frame (General section of the Text Frame Panel) – is it what you want/expect?
  • The Baseline Grid settings for the Text Frame (Baseline Grid section of the Text Frame Panel) – are they what you want/expect?
  • The Align to Baseline Grid setting of the Paragraph formatting (Baseline Grid section of the Paragraph Panel) – is it what you want/expect?

Edit: Added the fourth item as suggested by thomaso below, just in case people don’t read the thread any further.

Edited by GarryP
Added more details.

33 minutes ago, GarryP said:

some of the first things to check are:

One of the second, third or fourth things to check is:

Paragraph Panel / or Text Style –> Baseline Grid –> "Align to Baseline Grid" 🙂