You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

In an Newspaper, I allways have the Date and Page Number in the title (left Page up right, right page up left for the date, Page Number on the other corner)  Is there a way, to change it just on the first page, and it changes on all the additional Pages automatically?

If you use a Master Page, and change it there, it will change on all pages you've applied that Master Page to. With Facing Pages you would need to change it on the left Master Page and also on the right Master Page, but that would then change it on all the document pages.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

6 hours ago, Atze said:

Is there a way, to change it just on the first page, and it changes on all the additional Pages automatically?

I would use a Master Page for this. I am assuming that "it" is the date and not something else, like location or visibility or # + date to date + # on even odd pages or....

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

17 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

I would use a Master Page for this. I am assuming that "it" is the date and not something else, like location or visibility or # + date to date + # on even odd pages or....

Ok. My question wasn't clear enough:

Page 1 = Date in the middle of the Header
Page 2, 3, = Date is top right
Page 4 = Date is top left

My question: how can I change the Date just on the first page, and than have it automatically changed on the other 3 pages too?! So, I definitely can avoid, having different Dates in the Newspaper.

42 minutes ago, Atze said:

My question: how can I change the Date just on the first page, and than have it automatically changed on the other 3 pages too?! So, I definitely can avoid, having different Dates in the Newspaper.

You can't.

The best you can do is use Master Pages, so that you can change it in a small number of places and have it carry over to all the other pages that use the master. I would have expected the date to be on the top left on pages 2 and 4 (and other even pages), and on the top right on pages 3, and 5 (and other odd pages). Having it on the top right on 2 and 3 seems unusual, to me. If it were the way I specified it, you would need two master pages. One applied to page 1, and another Facing Page Master Page that would apply to the other pages. You would change the date on the first Master Page, and in two places on the second one, and it would change on all the document pages.

The Master Pages could be as simple as having only the dates specified, and nothing else.

There is also a limited selection of dates available from the Fields panel, but I doubt any of them will suit your needs.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

20 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

In Publisher you might be able to do what you want(?) with a linked or embedded document containing the date

If you have also purchased Designer, you might be able to do it using a Symbol

If you have also purchased APhoto, you might be able to do it using linked layers

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Just for the record, @carl123, I did not say that :) 

I had considered (but not mentioned) symbols. I didn't think about linked layers; that's an interesting idea if it works for text.

-- Walt
PC:

3 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Just for the record, @carl123, I did not say that

Apologies, I quoted your quote from @Atze rather than quote him/her directly, my misteak

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

6 hours ago, carl123 said:

If you have also purchased APhoto, you might be able to do it using linked layers

After some experimenting with Linked Layers in Photo and the Photo Persona of Publisher: You could do it on a single document spread, or on a single Master Page spread (which could then apply to multiple document pages).

But given the positioning that @Atze has specified, with the first page having the date in a different position than on all other pages, I think that multiple Master Pages are needed. If so, the date would have to be changed once on each of those Master Pages.

So, for this, Designer's symbols would be a better approach, and would also work in Publisher via the Designer Persona for users who own both applications.

-- Walt
PC:

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

If so, the date would have to be changed once on each of those Master Pages.

Attached is a sample document where changing the "Date" once on page one automatically changes the date on the Master Page and hence all other pages

I don't quite understand what the OP means by the below unless he is talking about a Newpaper that only ever has 4 pages! Which, if that is the case, he/she does not need master pages (if using linked layers from APhoto)

On 5/14/2022 at 11:11 AM, Atze said:

Ok. My question wasn't clear enough:

Page 1 = Date in the middle of the Header
Page 2, 3, = Date is top right
Page 4 = Date is top left

But even in a bigger document with multiple master pages I can't see any reason why changing a linked layer (the date) on page one of the document can't be replicated to all master pages automatically

datetest2.afpub

I used Symbols for the Page Date only because the idea is to change one once and have the other change automatically. Myself I would just use regular text frames and copy and paste from the first to the second on the master page. I trust myself to mis-type and or misspell Sudnay May 15, 22022 so I know that automation is not a trustworthy solution to catching mistakes.

newspaper dates.afpub

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

2 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

I used Symbols for the Page Date only because the idea is to change one once and have the other change automatically.

Don't you have to have a copy of AD to use the Designer Persona in APub? If you don't, I do not think the Symbols panel is available.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

3 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Don't you have to have a copy of AD to use the Designer Persona in APub? If you don't, I do not think the Symbols panel is available.

Quite right, another reason to just write once and copy/paste the second time.

2 hours ago, carl123 said:

But even in a bigger document with multiple master pages I can't see any reason why changing a linked layer (the date) on page one of the document can't be replicated to all master pages automatically

Because you can only Link two layers that are on the same Spread, in Publisher.

I suppose it might be possible to

1. create a facing spread for Master A and add the Date to the left page. Then
  2. duplicate the date Linked, and move the duplicate  to the right page. Then,
  3. create Master Page B for the situation case of the date in the middle, and apply Master A to it. Then
  4. use Edit Detached on Master B to remove one of the dates, and to move the other to the middle of the page.

It's possible that after step 4, all 3 date fields will be linked. And then whatever document pages you apply those Masters to will also have linked fields, and that changing any one field will change all 3.

But that feels complex, and I would be surprised if it works.

-- Walt
PC: