You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer - Feature Request

3 minutes ago, FrenchUser said:

Right click on the element and the option "Lock" accessible.

Could be handy. The only problem I see with this, is how you select the correct layer if you have one layer covering another. It seems easy enough just to select the layer in the layer panel.

6 minutes ago, FrenchUser said:

Why can an element be pasted into a locked layer?

Locking a layer only prevents it from being moved, not from editing it at all. This is something that has been raised before, and it has been suggested that there should be two types of locking, one which just locks movement and a full lock, which stops anything being done to that layer.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

20 minutes ago, FrenchUser said:

Why can an element be pasted into a locked layer?

Because the term "Locked" is unfortunately interpreted in a very unusual way in Affinity applications.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

Just now, Hens said:

ctrl+rightclick shows which items are under the pointer and the lock option(beh),better call it the nomover,could be added to that menu.

Doesn't seem to work for me! Alt+LeftClick cycles through the layers under the pointer, but it still seems easier to me just to use the layers panel. Having said that, it's not a bad idea, as an alternative, if it makes life easier for some people.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

Never knew about that! – Very handy when working with Groups.

59 minutes ago, FrenchUser said:

Right click on the element and the option "Lock" accessible.

I’d like to see this ability, perhaps as a Preferences setting. To my way of thinking, locking an object shouldn’t prevent its selection on the canvas

35 minutes ago, Hens said:

In other words its not a lock but a "no move+ no resize option".

Also “no rotate”: in short, it’s a “no transform” option. As above, a Preferences setting to dictate the behaviour would probably be appreciated by very many users.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

33 minutes ago, Hens said:

These should not be a preference setting but the default as is in many other layer/object based programs

For the avoidance of doubt, I would like to see it as the default setting. However, for users who don’t like the default behaviour there needs to be some way to change it (which we don’t have at the moment).

Alfred spacer.png

2 hours ago, Hens said:

better call it the nomover

The "lock" symbol, which perhaps everyone understands as a protection of what is locked by this lock, is used incorrectly for Affinity functionality, and it is only confusing for users (a lock that does not lock anything).

Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

4 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

a lock that does not lock anything

It does lock something, but what confuses many users is that it does not lock everything.

Alfred spacer.png

Just now, Hens said:

Not according to Serif.

Really? I must have missed something they said.

1 minute ago, Hens said:

Many things from other programs are brought over to make new users be accustomed with more ease but this they didn't.
imho still a bad decision

Yes, a very bad decision. I don’t see (and I don’t expect to see) anyone here trying to defend it.

Alfred spacer.png

3 minutes ago, Hens said:

Thanks for the link, @Hens. It seems to confirm what I wrote earlier:

52 minutes ago, Alfred said:

It does lock something, but what confuses many users is that it does not lock everything.

So I’m still confused by your “Not according to Serif” comment!

Alfred spacer.png

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

It does lock something

"Something" locks it down, but unfortunately not "always" - not under all circumstances. So, in my view, it doesn't "lock anything" when I can't count on it.

39 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

"Something" locks it down, but unfortunately not "always" - not under all circumstances. So, in my view, it doesn't "lock anything" when I can't count on it.

Thank you, @Pšenda. I hadn’t noticed the ambiguity! I agree that you can’t just select anything and expect to be able to lock it under all circumstances.

Alfred spacer.png

To say this functionality is "by design" is just a lame cop out - serif need to just admit they can't figure out how to fix this broken behaviour - can you imagine how great it would be to have a lock that locks - I've never heard of such daftness - serif need to start manufacturing front doors, I'm sure they'd have a state of the art quad claw locking system that once locked, any lowlife can still just waltz into your home and knick all your clobber = "by design" even select same, selects locked items.

I think this needs to be made clear to new users / potential switchers: lock kind of nearly locks a few things and only the very basic vector brushes are vector (but that's another post moan)

What about changing the lock icon to an unlocked padlock to reflect the true behaviour  - at least serif should explain to thicko's like me this "by design" logic behind having a lock that doesn't lock, and any workflows where this feature would be of use 

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

2 hours ago, Dazmondo77 said:

... Serif need to start manufacturing front doors, I'm sure they'd have a state of the art quad claw locking system that once locked, any lowlife can still just waltz into your home and knick all your clobber ...

But the lowlifes won't be able to move your door a foot to the left. So that's pretty cool, eh?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.