You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo with OpenCL crashes since switching to 2 GPUs

My operating system: Windows 10 21H2 19044.1706

GPU: Previously MSI Nvidia GTX 970, now MSI GTX 1060 + EVGA GTX 1060

Driver version: 512.59 DCH

Problem: After switching from one GTX970 to 2x GTX1060 and updating the drivers (everything else stayed the same), photo crashes either right after loading an image or after I try to add any adjustment layer/live filter. 

Previously, with the GTX970, Photo worked with OpenCL without issues. Other applications that use both cards with CUDA or OpenCL (Blender, Darktable) currently work without issues, only Photo crashes. After turning off OpenCL in Photo, it works without issues, no crashes.

Crash dump: Doesn't get created. All the subfolders in the CrashReports folder are empty. Either there's some setting to turn on logging that I missed or the crash shoots down the crash handling as well.

Screenshot of the Performance section of Preferences included.

One thing that seems wrong is that it lists 4 GPUs, where in reality there are only 2. It doesn't seem to matter which GPU I select as Renderer. Device manager in Windows, NVidia control panel, Blender etc. only see 2 GPUs as they should.

1059965557_AFPpreferences.png.c78cd161caa2665d53a3d51998016945.png

• Staff

Hi @Vozka,

Thanks for your report!

Can you please confirm for me, are these GPUs set in 'SLI' mode, or are they independent of each other?

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

1 hour ago, Dan C said:

Hi @Vozka,

Thanks for your report!

Can you please confirm for me, are these GPUs set in 'SLI' mode, or are they independent of each other?

Sorry, forgot to mention. They are independent of each other, GTX 1060 does not have SLI support. 

• Staff

Thanks for confirming that for me! I've seen a previous report of this occurring with multiple independent GPUs with Hardware Acceleration enabled, so I will be sure to update our development bug log regarding this now.

In the meantime, I'd recommend leaving the option unticked in Performance - apologies for any inconveniences caused!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

2 hours ago, Dan C said:

In the meantime, I'd recommend leaving the option unticked in Performance - apologies for any inconveniences caused!

I wonder if another option might be to tell Windows to restrict the Affinity application(s) to using a single GPU.

For example, here is one article that shows how to do that: https://www.itechtics.com/use-specific-gpu/

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

5 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

I wonder if another option might be to tell Windows to restrict the Affinity application(s) to using a single GPU.

For example, here is one article that shows how to do that: https://www.itechtics.com/use-specific-gpu/

A good Idea! 

Unfortunately neither setting a preferred card through Windows setting nor doing so through NVidia Control Panel helped, the behavior is still the same.

Too bad :(

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Next thought: Just as an experiment, can you disable one of them in the Device Manager, and see if that allows the applications to work properly?

-- Walt
PC:

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone!

I have a very similar problem. I have an Alienware x17 R1 laptop with an RTX3080, plus an RTX3090 hooked up via Thunderbolt in an external GPU enclosure.

I can confirm I have exactly the same problem - Photo crashes instantly after load, or upon loading an image. When I unplug the 3090, Photo operates normally.

However, disabling either GPU in the device manager is not an option in my case, as I need both GPUs (3090 for 3D rendering - this card cannot be interrupted by any other workload, and the 3080 for other work).

Can we expect a patch soon?

• Staff

Hi @zeegmund1450,

Just to confirm, have you also tried to force Affinity to use a specific GPU, as described above, without disabling either in Device Manager?

On 5/13/2022 at 3:16 PM, walt.farrell said:

Please note -

Many thanks!

9 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Hi @zeegmund1450,

Just to confirm, have you also tried to force Affinity to use a specific GPU, as described above, without disabling either in Device Manager?

Yes. I also tried disabling hardware acceleration in Photo altogether, but it doesn't matter - as long as both GPU's are present in Device Manager, Photo instantly crashes. The only solution is completely disabling one GPU (in this case - unplugging the Thunderbolt cable from 3090).

Also, (a little off-topic) with the latest Photo build, I'm unable to use more than 16GB of ram (I have 64GB). After installation, it defaulted to 32GB, which resulted in crashing. I tuned it down to 16GB via Edit -> Preferences -> Preformance. Whenever I put it back to 32GB, the crash occurs again. The RAM sticks and their timings are fine, 3d rendering apps and video games run normally.

• Staff

Many thanks for letting me know and I'm certainly sorry to hear this - I'll be sure to log your details provided with our developers such that this can be investigated further and hopefully fixed in a future update.

In the meantime, again just to confirm, have you installed the latest drivers for both cards, directly from Nvidia? :) (I assume as much, but it never hurts to double check!)

Please note -

Many thanks!

15 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Many thanks for letting me know and I'm certainly sorry to hear this - I'll be sure to log your details provided with our developers such that this can be investigated further and hopefully fixed in a future update.

In the meantime, again just to confirm, have you installed the latest drivers for both cards, directly from Nvidia? :) (I assume as much, but it never hurts to double check!)

No problem :) Yes, my Alienware is a new laptop bought a month ago, first thing I did is install the latest Studio drivers from NV website :) I will update as soon a new Studio driver is released. If anything changes regarding that matter, I'll post an update.

Also, probably that's not worth noting, but anyways - both mobile and desktop 30XX series chips use the same driver binaries, it's the same package. It doesn't matter which pack you select on Nvidia's website, the 3080 Mobile and 3090 Desktop lead to the same installer, only the filename is different (I don't really know why) :)