You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How can I enable again breaking lines in texts frames

Hello,

I imported styles to my new document from IDML and now I am creating the titles( Figure 1)... However I am not somehow able to break lines (figure 2) without using hard enters (figure 3). It always shows me only the ending of text. My style looks like this (last two images). I am wondering if it is caused by decoration or by something else. Anyway, the hard enters makes bad things in table of contents.

Thx for any suggestion!

image.png.8227387a378cece35b82257b87e84969.pngimage.png.6273faf1a646dfa9157525b2746f44c8.pngimage.png.a42453545f47eaf4a36938029cf40631.png

image.png.44c27ee6ca3528f682abd55bc67492e7.png

image.png.edd4c6ac3cb75588f687be9beaf2c398.png

1 minute ago, Amaroun said:

I imported the styles to my new document from IDML and now I am creating the titles...

Make brand new Styles and then use Find and Replace to get rid of all the imported styles. A little bit of work at the beginning of the project and you'll cut down on a lot of problems.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

None of your 3 screenshots let me assume a line break should happen because all text frames have enough width not to break their displayed texts. So it's hard to judge. Also not showing the Special Characters (menu "Text") reduces the chance to detect a possible hint.

For the second screenshot it is unclear what it actually shows. The displayed text seems to equal the containing text (there is no red overflow marker). So the vertical position can have quite a few reasons which shift the line down. Aside a line break and various style properties also a text frame inset can influence the text position inside its frame.

If the lines don't break even if you reduce their frame width then check in the Character Panel if "No break" is activated. See the sample below: both frames contain identical text and style, the upper frame has "No break" ticked, the bottom frame doesn't.

498856390_textframesNobreak.thumb.jpg.f708a29901dc69b7cf0e9239b7f6d554.jpg

The relatively short summary of your style definition screenshots seems to imply that this style is based on another style which would contain more info in its style settings summary. This would also list a "No break" property.

Regardless of possible issues eventually caused by a style import from IDML the recommendation of Old Bruce to entirely recreate the style in Affinity would at least have the advantage that you are forced to check every relevant style parameter. Although I can't say whether it is necessary here. I'd rather assume that IDML styles usually get imported without issues – or with issues that can easily get fixed.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

@thomaso

Ouuu maybe screen like this would more comprehensive. So as can be seen the text is not able to break to the whole frame even if there is enought space for it. It disappears somewhere to the left. I was checking all styles and "No break" isn't activated. So maybe will be better to go by way what @Old Bruce suggests.

image.png.b9d765022d883c026c690bb36f734323.png

1 hour ago, Amaroun said:

So as can be seen the text is not able to break to the whole frame even if there is enought space for it.

I am not sure what you mean by "break the hole frame". And: what should cause it? From the screenshot can't see your setting. Can you post an .afpub with this 4 sample frames, ideally supplemented by copies of this frames aside where you achieved what you expect and want?

815015579_textframesNobreak2.jpg.d855a95ca53f5f472d8ad19e555a04ee.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1