You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Media Browser in Designer and Photo

I find the Media browser in Designer and Photo confusing. It only shows 2 folders on opening and then you have to drag entire folders to see anything else besides contents of  iPhoto and Pictures folders. The browser disappears whenever you try to drag a folder to it unless you do it just right. It can be done but it's clumsy and irritating.

Questions:

1. Why can't we just browse to files as the term browser implies?

2. Why can't the browser see external media such as usb memory sticks, SD chips etc.?

Otherwise I like the thumbnail size slider in Media browser as the Mac Finder app is a truly a pain to browse photos with unless you search by tags.

Why not let us file browse with the Media browser instead of dragging folders?

• Staff

Hi mudbug32,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

By default, the Media Browser lets you browse images from Aperture, iPhoto and Apple Photos libraries and from the Pictures Folder. Additionally you can also add your own folders to it. There's nothing stopping you from adding external drives and USB Pen's to the three area on top. Then, select the folder you want to see there and the images will be displayed in the section below.

post-59-0-87442900-1450375919_thumb.jpg

I'm ust throwing out an opinion here about my choice of workflow relative to Affinity Designer and Photo.

Why not allow the user to set default locations by actually browsing to them? Bought Aperture, hated it and deleted it, never use i-photo so those defaults are useless to me, intact they are an irritant.

I want to set my default locations. The other thing is that it is clumsy with the browser window disappearing often as you start to drag and drop unless you do it just right.

I want to browse to individual files or docs not drag and drop whole folders- is that message not getting through?. Affinity has the beginnings of a good media browser, better than anything else I have on the Mac, but please, let my people browse!

Limiting the number of posts or replies to an absurdly low number is counterintuitive to a forum. I'm blowing all my posts on this one subject.

Guess my thoughts weren't good enough to share on the forum so we'll not know if anyone agrees or not.

I love the media browser. And the control click, or control right click options seem to hold a wealth of hidden capabilities on many things. The only thing I would like to see is the Media Browser to be able to view Affinity Photo, and Designer files. Now that the number of my files in Affinity formats increases, it would be really awesome to be able to view those in the Media Browser.