You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer iPad crashed after clicking “import from photo”

Lii

Hi, I’ve tried restart my iPad several time, but still the same, this issue happened since last night.

FYI:

I’m using iPad Pro 2018 256 GB, iPad OS 15.4.1.

affinity designer version: 1.10.5

thank you.

Yes, I’ve tried the way you provided:

• Press and quickly release the Volume Up button.
  • Press and quickly release the Volume Down button.
  • Then press and hold the Power button until the device restarts.

Unfortunately, it still performs the same like the clips I attached in the first post.

• Staff

This may be permission/privacy setting related, could you try the below:

1. Open up Settings and go to 'Privacy'
  2. Select 'Photos'
  3. Ensure that Affinity Designer is given full access to 'All Photos'
  4. Restart your iPad and try again

• Staff

Could you try removing and reinstalling Designer? Be sure to back up any files in the 'Affinity Designer' folder to another location first in Files as this will be deleted along with the app.

If the same issue still occurs, could you attach a crash report? The below thread details how to find these.

I tried to import different images, it happened randomly to any image. Not every time, but almost.

I don’t think is the loading of an image. Because every time this issue happened, the canvas will enlarged by itself after I selected an image. As shown in the first video which u can see me selecting a image, I have shrink the canvas before importing an image, but it enlarged after selecting an image.

In normal circumstances, the canvas will show how it is before I import an image, and it will not lag.

• Staff

If you have a 12.9 inch iPad pro this may be caused by the 'Display Zoom' function being enabled, below is how to enable/disable this function in Settings.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/ipad/ipadbfb08e0a/ipados

If not, could you provide me with a sample file which this issue occurs with and your iPad model? Below is a dropbox if you wish to upload the files there.

https://www.dropbox.com/request/FquS8iOIu3FSKtPkNaHM

Hi, I’ve attached a file that got lag when I “drag an image”

there is 2 rabbit image there, the left was alright with all the progress,

but the rabbit image at the right side lagged like the video shown when I “drag the image”. I have to click the back button to the home page and click the file again to see the image imported.

iPad Pro 2018 11 inch 256GB

file is uploaded to the link

• Staff

I've not had any luck replicating your issue thus far, could you confirm what document/canvas size you're using as from your video it appears to be very large which could be related, if you were to create a new document in A4 does the issue occur?

The canvas size is 12000px X 12000px

I have no issues with this pixel size before, I even work up to 15000 px before and the apps work  smoothly.

That’s why I have no idea what’s happening. 
Or perhaps the app have a limitation on number of file it can hold or number of layer or pixel it can handle for different devices?

I have tried with A4 size canvas for 4 times, only 1 time is lagged. 

• 2 months later...
  • Staff

Hi @Remeife,

Have you tried the previously mentioned suggestions?

- Privacy Settings:

On 5/11/2022 at 9:12 AM, NathanC said:

This may be permission/privacy setting related, could you try the below:

1. Open up Settings and go to 'Privacy'
  2. Select 'Photos'
  3. Ensure that Affinity Designer is given full access to 'All Photos'
  4. Restart your iPad and try again

- Force Restart iPad

- Re-install the app (back up anything in the Affinity Photo folder in Files first as it will be deleted)

reinstall the app does help to slove this issue, but i did experience this issue again after about 3 weeks, so i need to reinstall the app again. Is there any other way to solve this issue? I dont wanna reinstall the app again and again. 

• Staff
1 hour ago, Lii said:

reinstall the app does help to slove this issue, but i did experience this issue again after about 3 weeks, so i need to reinstall the app again. Is there any other way to solve this issue? I dont wanna reinstall the app again and again. 

Since it's not a great long-term solution, i'll confirm if anything else could be contributing towards this.