You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

inconsistency mask DPI leads to rendering issues when zoomed out <100%

Hi,

when you apply a mask layer to a pixel layer, and change the DPI of the mask (move tool, resize), you will get rendering issues on all tested platforms (Mac, iPad).

Bad on this discussion: 

single layer.afphoto2055350176_Screenshot2022-05-10at12_17_28.thumb.png.cdc77c04c299877e36c75f61d09b1090.png

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

• Staff

Just to confirm the workflow:

1. Open image
  2. Apply a mask to a pixel layer
  3. Mask some areas of the pixel layer
  4. Using the Move Tool select the mask layer and increase in size

Rendering issues should occur.

In a quick test these steps don't replicate the issue as described for myself, with or without the mask layer being attached to the pixel layer.

Have you tried this on a new image/document and not the one within the linked thread as that may have some other underlying issue?

1 hour ago, Lee D said:

Just to confirm the workflow:

1. Open image
  2. Apply a mask to a pixel layer
  3. Mask some areas of the pixel layer
  4. Using the Move Tool select the mask layer and increase in size

Rendering issues should occur.

In a quick test these steps don't replicate the issue as described for myself, with or without the mask layer being attached to the pixel layer.

Have you tried this on a new image/document and not the one within the linked thread as that may have some other underlying issue?

Hi Lee,

the issue is immediately visible when opening the attached file, no further action required. It opens with 55% zoom level on my 5K display. If you have a different zoom level, please adjust only zoom. I use option-key plus mouse wheel, or mouse on slider in navigator panel.

The mask is 107 PDI, the pixel layer is 96 DPI.

Issue is persistent with zoom level of about 29-55%.

As the same happens on iPad, and other users confirmed the issue on Windows, it might depend on Performance settings. Please find my settings below (again, I simply opened the file, no other actions):

Screenshot 2022-05-10 at 17.03.19.png

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Edited by NotMyFault

I will try to create it with new document.

Never the less, the issue is coming from the mask, not from the pixel layer.

• If I rasterise & trim the pixel layer alone, nothing changes
  • If I rasterise & trim the pixel layer with the mask applied, the issue is resolved. I can re-create the "corrected" mask using channels panel (having same DPI as pixel layer, issue is gone.

Even simpler: 

The masks are definitely the issue. You can swap the pixel layer eg. against a grey vector shape, and I get the same zoom / rendering issues.

To correct:

• select defective mask
  • use channel panel, click "create mask layer" from mask alpha.
  • delete defective mask.
  • job done.

PS: unable to create issue from scratch. 

1 hour ago, MEB said:

Can you reproduce it in a new document as Lee suggested above?

No. It seems many layers (bitmap and mask) in the file from the linked thread are corrupted.

OK for me if this report gets closed, but it would be great if Affinity would detect such corruption on its own, and may offer a kind of repair service for affected users (not me, i’m only the messenger)