You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Expand Stroke still glitchy...

Is there a fix here?

Embedding the files, including a video.

Edit: Also it would be nice if the strokes weren't punch-throughs. It's just extra math for the program to do a punch out I feel like and subject to more error? I didn't mind using pathfinder to remove in AI. Also there's the issue with the edges not lining up if that is still an issue on save-out?

image.thumb.png.3d3e8b9efd51c1ffbe1207e1ff00a62f.png

pause-expand-stroke-after.afdesign pause-expand-stroke-before.afdesign 2022-05-09 16-41-00.mkv

• Staff

Hi Debra,

This is something that our developers are working on we should hopefully have an improved expand stroke soon. I'm not sure if I understand what you mean by the edges not lining up please could you provide more information regarding this?

Thanks

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

53 minutes ago, Callum said:

Hi Debra,

This is something that our developers are working on we should hopefully have an improved expand stroke soon. I'm not sure if I understand what you mean by the edges not lining up please could you provide more information regarding this?

Thanks

Maybe it would be easier to create an example, but I know in the past when I've "lined up"/"snapped" objects, sometimes there was a thin line that the background shown through that required you overlap the shapes to get rid of the "defect". I know there was an explanation (which I don't recall), but to save time it would be better if the stroke was a filled shape rather than a shape with negative space? Just a concern.

Edit: I attached an image to show what I mean.

false-border.jpg

@debraspicher As a workaround for now, scale it up to 400% before expanding the stroke and afterwards scale down to 25%. But still there a three nodes left over.

EDIT: I have to admit, that the Expand Stroke function is not doing a good job. Zooming closer you'll some "defects" in the curves.

----------
Windows 10 / 11, Complete Suite Retail and Beta

On 5/10/2022 at 6:46 AM, joe_l said:

@debraspicher As a workaround for now, scale it up to 400% before expanding the stroke and afterwards scale down to 25%. But still there a three nodes left over.

EDIT: I have to admit, that the Expand Stroke function is not doing a good job. Zooming closer you'll some "defects" in the curves.

That's bothersome... I don't mind "work arounds" per say, but for a vector app, we need to be able to pixel hint/accurately work with points and having extra points and more to manage not only makes repairing that tedious but makes the work look less clean. I might have to start looking at other options until it is fixed.

That's why I mentioned the "lining up" issue with the curves. It would be easier to not have a punch-through to avoid creating unnecessary edges because we often use expand stroke so we can manipulate it separate from the fill. Edges should be clean where objects match up obviously. Then this would not be a "fix", but a preference. I get the program is anti-aliasing the edges of every object.. but exceptions should be added for when objects line up/"snap" exactly at their respective points, that edges are clean, i.e. not anti-aliased over the background.

Edit: I realize I'm venting to the ether (and not to you specifically), but just want to have this for my own mental record...