You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cells with text rotated 90/270º have extra height that cannot be reduced

Sometimes, when using tables with text rotated 90 or 270 º the cell height is randomly increased, resulting in a taller then needed cell that cannot be reduced in height.

It does not happens on single words, only on paragraphs. And it happens at a random. You are writting the text in cells and all is going fine and on a random cell the spacing is added and all row gets the extra height.

Tried both with existing and with complete new tables.

See example in attached file. The upper table has the cell issue on the first row. The second one use single words so it does not happens until you add more words to a cell.

It only happens in vertically rotated cells

cell-height-rotated-content.afpub

5 hours ago, thomaso said:

It appears @Serif is still waiting for input / examples …

I don't understand why most people never include an example file. It is easy to do and it helps a lot to @Serif team. It took me a minute to prepare the example attached. That and to explain steps to reproduce which is a must.

• Staff

Hi @Daniel Gibert,

Thanks for your report & your document provided!

This certainly appears to be a bug as I cannot see any explicit reason for this, and I'm able to replicate this in a new document.

Interestingly, the more return characters I add to the cell, the larger the unwanted space becomes.

I'm getting this logged with our developers to be addressed now - I hope this helps :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

6 hours ago, Dan C said:

Interestingly, the more return characters I add to the cell, the larger the unwanted space becomes.

Both New Paragraph and Line Breaks added space for me.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• Staff

Thanks Bruce, I'll update the report! :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

9 hours ago, Dan C said:

I cannot see any explicit reason for this, and I'm able to replicate this in a new document.

It's indeed an interesting beast: New tables in the OP's .afpub don't show this behaviour with "sujetos" of the initial cell content + added characters. I did not enter any line break or manual hyphenation.

1141800621_auto-cellheightwrotatedtxt.thumb.jpg.0547929212906fdabe9485adf94a6705.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• Staff
14 hours ago, thomaso said:

I did not enter any line break or manual hyphenation.

Thanks thomaso, our team have identified this issue seemingly only occurs when return/paragraph/line break characters are used in the rotated text cell - which likely explains why it isn't happening in your above example;

On 5/8/2022 at 7:14 PM, Daniel Gibert said:

It does not happens on single words, only on paragraphs.

I suspect it is a similar issue to the previously reported & fixed 'tables growing in size' bug that our developers fixed a few versions ago, however this was only ever reported for regular unrotated text - so I am hopeful this issue should be easy for our team to address :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

• 11 months later...
  • Staff

Thanks for the update and screen recording provided @RM f/g - I can confirm that I have 'bumped' this with our devs to bring it to their attention once again, as well as included the steps shown in your recording, whereby simply reducing the width of the table also causes the size to grow vertically unexpectedly without the need for return characters.

I hope this helps :)

Please note -

Many thanks!